Sooner State Pawn Oklahoma Second Amendment Association 2A Shooting Center Harsh Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39 Ammo

Patron
    Blog Entries

Default 5.45x39 Ammo

Anyone know of any great deals on bulk 5.45x39? Sportsmansguide has some but they are sold out of the big bulk boxes right now. Of course I was always seeing this ammo every where and now I order an AK-74 and can't find any good cheap deals .

Default Re: 5.45x39 Ammo

Here's an interesting 3 page read. Pay particular attention to anything that Bryan_Aim (one the owner of Aim Surplus) writes. Doesn't look good....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_217/2...d_.html&page=1

Might want to hit up the gun shows and purchase any still priced at .12-.18 per round.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    "OKLAHOMA'S FAVORITE PLUMBERS!"
    Serving The Whole Oklahoma City Metro

I also can refinish your firearms using the beautiful and durable Rust Blue process.
    PM me for more info.

My Feedback

Patron
    Blog Entries

Looks like the 5.45 will be getting up to the price of 5.56
    D@mn Neal always gotta ruin my fun

Looks like I will be placing an order for 600 rounds through sportsmans guide and then setting a good chunk o change to grab as much at the next gun show that I can.....

Looks like Bryan_Aim suggests sticking with 7.62x39 glad I have the VZ and AMD

Another grim morsel out of that thread was that on page 3 he claims that Century won the rights to the Korean Garands! That freakin sucks as well!

But at least they will be finally coming home.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    "OKLAHOMA'S FAVORITE PLUMBERS!"
    Serving The Whole Oklahoma City Metro

I also can refinish your firearms using the beautiful and durable Rust Blue process.
    PM me for more info.

My Feedback

Patron
    Blog Entries

Yea thats very true.

So the Wolf Military Classice 5.45x39 is .22/round which is .05/round more and not corrosive, I am ok with that.

Patron
    Blog Entries

Well I just ordered a pack of 300 from SG, it was $47 shipped, going to look around at the gun shows for spam cans now.

Not to be Debbie Downer but if the importers ever stop shipping this stuff,there is not one domestic manufacturer of 5.45x39(that I know of anyway).
    Remember...its only a wimp caliber until you are shot with it!

We're here to save your butts, not kiss them ...

Yep, I am married to a BadgeBunny!

Feedback Thread: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...26#post1544726

Patron
    Blog Entries

Hornady

Quote Originally Posted by GlockCop View Post
    Not to be Debbie Downer but if the importers ever stop shipping this stuff,there is not one domestic manufacturer of 5.45x39(that I know of anyway).
    Correct! Hornady offers steel match but its made with imported steel primed cases. if imports were cut off, you/Hornady would be screwed. At least until domestic manufacturers saw a demand and started production.

We are a country based on money. If the importation stops, there will be several domestically that start to produce it. Forget about it being 12-15 a round, though. Then again, it will likely be boxer brass cases, though. That's a plus.
    "Some of us are often accused of always crying 'wolf'. But it is worth noting that one day the wolf came".
    Pat Buchanan

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution that gave Congress the right to expend, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents".
    James Madison

Patron
    Blog Entries

I'm sure the state side manufacturers have seen that this round has gained popularity, and I am sure they will jump at the opportunity to make money on it but IMO they are waiting for the importation to stop so they can charge more and we shooters won't be able to do much about it since the surplus ammo wouldn't be available. No biggie though I have found a few thousand rounds through searching and they are now on order.

True; I'm sure it's why there's only limited domestic ammo for 7.62x39, too; hard to compete with steel cased foreign ammo prices.
    "Some of us are often accused of always crying 'wolf'. But it is worth noting that one day the wolf came".
    Pat Buchanan

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution that gave Congress the right to expend, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents".
    James Madison

Patron
    Blog Entries

That's just it, when we can buy surplus ammo for .15/round no state side company can compete with that. The state side ammo (as limited as it is) runs for about .38-.40/round.

Patron
    Blog Entries

Well I can vouch for Southern Ohio Gun or SOG, they had extremely quick shipping and they are great with email correspondance. I will be using them again when they get more 5.45 in stock. Now I am just waiting on my 1200 rounds from Sportsmans Guide to get here (tomorrow!!).

So I have an upper on the way in 5.45 that's I'm going to assemble myself. Im planning on breaking it in with some silver bear or some cheaper ammo like that. Is silver bear as corrosive as the spam can stuff? And any suggestions you guys may have for me since I'm new to particular caliber?