5.45x39 Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure the state side manufacturers have seen that this round has gained popularity, and I am sure they will jump at the opportunity to make money on it but IMO they are waiting for the importation to stop so they can charge more and we shooters won't be able to do much about it since the surplus ammo wouldn't be available. No biggie though I have found a few thousand rounds through searching and they are now on order.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's just it, when we can buy surplus ammo for .15/round no state side company can compete with that. The state side ammo (as limited as it is) runs for about .38-.40/round.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I can vouch for Southern Ohio Gun or SOG, they had extremely quick shipping and they are great with email correspondance. I will be using them again when they get more 5.45 in stock. Now I am just waiting on my 1200 rounds from Sportsmans Guide to get here (tomorrow!!).

crispy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have an upper on the way in 5.45 that's I'm going to assemble myself. Im planning on breaking it in with some silver bear or some cheaper ammo like that. Is silver bear as corrosive as the spam can stuff? And any suggestions you guys may have for me since I'm new to particular caliber?

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have an upper on the way in 5.45 that's I'm going to assemble myself. Im planning on breaking it in with some silver bear or some cheaper ammo like that. Is silver bear as corrosive as the spam can stuff? And any suggestions you guys may have for me since I'm new to particular caliber?

Just be prepared to clean often! Silver Bear, Wolf, Golden Tiger; it's all dirty ammo. The AK will eat it all day and every day with no slow down. But it will foul up an AR pretty quickly. One of my buddies has 5.45 upper and he quit running the cheaper stuff through his. He runs the corrosive surplus stuff (bulgarian, russian) with much better success.

rehpot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just try to find Russian/Bulgarian surplus and use Ballistol after shooting. If you plan on shooting this alot you might want to switch it to a piston system, it will cut your cleaning time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom