Steel Ammo- Tula

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sooo...I picked up the cheapest box of ammo I could find at Wal Mart on my way to the range... Tula .40 S&W. The box said "steel case", which is no big deal- But then when I got to the indoor range they put a magnet up to the bullet and it was steel as well. Probably just the jacket, but still... Anyone know of an outdoor range in or near OKC that I can go to?

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+1 on Canadian range, only costs 10 bucks, phone is 262-9011, you can shoot all the steel ammo you want, you can also shoot rifles too if you got one

tronnix

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Canadian ranges off Banner road is really nice for outdoor ranges. But I would warn against steal case ammo in the future. Pay the extra few bucks for Federal ammo. Steal cases will wear your gun down faster than brass, also you get what you pay for. Cheap ammo = a really dirty gun when your done.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
internet myth. I would suggest the ammo steel is a lot softer than the steel used in my extractor. It is simply not true in my experiance.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Um..lol Do a Google search and you will find lots of info on Steel cases are bad for guns.

You can laugh out loud at the statement if you want, but "internet wisdom" is no guarantee of truth.

There is actually zero -- zero -- evidence that steel case ammo accelerates wear of firearms components. Lots of TALK about it, but not a single photo or documented case showing wear or damage caused by using steel. Lots of people who point to warnings in firearms company manuals and literature that say use of steel voids the warranty or whatnot (same companies that say to not use reloads, either).

If you happen across any actual evidence, please feel free to post it. I'm actually interested to see it. And, importantly, such evidence has to be evaluated in the greater context of all the other evidence to the contrary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom