Can a convicted felon...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm inclined to think not, at least in Oklahoma. Federal law excludes from the definition of "firearm" any device not firing fixed (i.e. cartridge) ammunition for the purpose of the felon proscription. Oklahoma, in §21-1289.4, defines rifle thus:
"Rifles" as used in the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title, shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels more than sixteen (16) inches in length, and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion, but not to include archery equipment, flare guns or underwater fishing guns. In addition, any rifle capable of firing "shot" but primarily designed to fire single projectiles will be regarded as a "rifle".
Note that there's nothing in there about "firing fixed ammunition" that would distinguish a muzzleloader from a modern rifle; the definition says "using...gunpowder," which would include muzzleloaders.

Trouble is, the prohibition on felons carrying firearms is in section 1283, so this definition doesn't strictly apply. I don't have time to do the research right now, but I'll look into it more this evening. I expect I'll find Oklahoma more restrictive on this point than the Feds, though.

Ruger76

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told that you can or if you can get an attorney to get you a pardon then you can prettymuch buy what thou want again that was what I was told.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies, but I think Dave70968 might be right, because this seems pretty clear and broad. Looking it over, I can't seem to find anything anywhere that would exempt muzzle loaders.

21-1283 Convicted felons and delinquents in possession of firearm
A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, it shall be unlawful for any person convicted of any
felony in any court of this state or of another state or of the United States
to have in his or her possession or
under his or her immediate control, or in any vehicle which the person is operating, or in which the person is
riding as a passenger, or at the residence where the convicted person resides, any pistol, imitation or homemade
pistol, altered air or toy pistol, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun or rifle, or any other dangerous or
deadly firearm.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they were a firearm true you would need a 4473 to buy them. They are sporting goods just the same as a bow and arrow or baseball bat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom