Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
FLIndependent

After reading these posts, I've come to a very common denominator among the pro-hunters....they are all still living in the past and refuse to evolve. I know in many parts of the country hunting is huge and I have relatives that used to hunt, but I just can't understand doing it for sport and just for the sake of killing a living thing. Unless you live out in no man's land and can't get to a grocery store, I see no need for type of "sport" in this day and age. What is even more mind boggling is most hunters are your self-proclaimed "pro-lifers".

"Ug, me caveman then, man hunt, woman cook."

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of the comments seem biased against hunting and firearms; some of them are downright annoying in their ignorance, while others at least express valid concerns. But the one that made me chuckle was this:

Deer are the deadliest animal in North America so deer hunters actually save lives.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of the comments seem biased against hunting and firearms; some of them are downright annoying in their ignorance, while others at least express valid concerns. But the one that made me chuckle was this:

Deer are the deadliest animal in North America so deer hunters actually save lives.

That's true (if by "animal" we mean "wild North American Mammal")

In an average year in North America more people are killed by deer than have been killed by bears and mountain lions in the last 100 years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite comment:

bsm says:
September 26, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm
“With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human’s scent.” Good thing. I’d hate to give those dangerous predators any kind of an edge to save their own lives.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's true (if by "animal" we mean "wild North American Mammal")

In an average year in North America more people are killed by deer than have been killed by bears and mountain lions in the last 100 years.

I should have been more specific; it was the part about how deer hunters save lives that made me chuckle. As for deer causing more deaths in North America than bears and mountain lions, there are far more deer than the other two mammals, so it stands to reason there will also be many more encounters between deer and people. I wonder if the death rate wouldn't change if the stats were weighed by number of deer vs. number of bears and mountain lions.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have been more specific; it was the part about how deer hunters save lives that made me chuckle. As for deer causing more deaths in North America than bears and mountain lions, there are far more deer than the other two mammals, so it stands to reason there will also be many more encounters between deer and people. I wonder if the death rate wouldn't change if the stats were weighed by number of deer vs. number of bears and mountain lions.
But that's exactly the point: the huge deer population is the reason they cause so many deaths (largely through traffic accidents). Hunters keep the population under control.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no conservative but I support hunting fully. All these arguments that hunting isn't needed if you have access to a grocery store are ignorant with stupid filling. Now, I'll agree, I have personal issues with "trophy" hunting. It doesn't sit well with me so that's why I don't do it. However, hunting isn't about killing animals, it's about feeding your family (at least that's my take on it). Sure I can go to the grocery store and buy my meat there but, holy hell, if people really knew what happens behind the magic curtain many wouldn't buy meat from the grocery store ever again (everything from horribly inhumane animal treatment to corporate control of every aspect of the process-that's a horror story in itself). Why would I buy into that when I could harvest my own meat in a much more humane manner AND end up with a much healthier product for my family? The only reason I do buy my meat (never from a grocery store but from a responsible small family owned meat market) is because I don't have the opportunity to hunt like I would prefer. If I had the opportunity to hunt I would happily fill my freezer with venison and such. I've never enjoyed taking an animals life though, in fact, it makes me quite sad but it's part of life and why I'm so careful to use everything I can responsibly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom