WMA: What do you look for in a "spot"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hunting WMA near Tulsa this rifle season.

Let's hear some commentary on the below...

What do you look for in picking a spot to hunt from? Deep in woods? Edge of woods near a clearing? Near a creek?

Let's hear some opinions on rifle and bow.

Go!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I look for someone else's treestand... if they're not in it, that's my spot! HA! Kidding...

My favorite spot is along a river. Rivers are natural travel corridors, they are usually wooded and have plenty of cover. Even if it is all open meadows in the area, the woods running along the river will provide cover to get from one spot to another. Rivers most always have a steady water flow, although now that is easily disputable in many areas. But I have found them to be a great place to kill a lot of shiot.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each WMA is different and requires different tactics in my mind. I have hunted as far away as I could get from a parking area and have hunted within bow range of a parking area in the early season.

Treat hunting public ground just like hunting private. The deer act the same as long as they aren't pestered. Early bow season usually brings little pressure to a majority of the WMA's. Same as late season. The only thing different about public ground is the added element of complete strangers hunting the same ground. Just be ready to be mobile once the deer do get pestered. Follow the deer sign. Don't pound the same spot all season because it is convenient or because you already have a stand there.

Pay attention to where others are parking/the direction they are heading in to the woods. Those hidden gems do exist on WMA's. The ones that everyone else seems to look over or walk on by.

You will find those places that always seem to hold deer. Those are the places to hold close to you and not be telling every one about.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice link!
One thing that wasn't mentioned, and is my favorite place to look for is creek crossings. Preferably creeks that are deep, and have steep sides. Somewhere along that creek will be a crossing if you track backwards from the crossing, there will be a network of trails, all leading to the crossing. Pick a nearby tree, keeping in mind the wind, and thats where I'd set up.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunting WMA near Tulsa this rifle season.

Let's hear some commentary on the below...

What do you look for in picking a spot to hunt from? Deep in woods? Edge of woods near a clearing? Near a creek?

Let's hear some opinions on rifle and bow.

Go!

Not to be a smart ass, but I'd look where the deer are!!

It is rare to find the "perfect spot" like everyone talks about on all the hunting shows and, if you find one of those perfect spots, odds are, someone, or many someones already know about it and is planning to hunt it!!

Another issue, the deer sign you found last week or last month, while scouting, may not be where the deer are now. This is especially true when deer are focused on acorns.

While archery season isn't quite as bad, unless you are hunting on a very large public area, the deer will likely be pushed to adjoining private land by all the other folks out there looking for that perfect spot.

I know a guy that has been extremely successful hunting public land in easter OK (large tracts), he goes into the thickest, nastiest cover he can find, sits down and waits. VERY few people are willing to go where he hunts and, consequently, that's where the deer are.

If I was forced to hunt public land in OK, I'd pick an area along a river in the western part of the state and I'd hunt it during bow season. I would not expect to kill a decent buck until I had hunted it a few years and learned the place well.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's a wildly stupid question... On the WMA maps, what does it mean when I see a tractor on the map? Any restrictions on hunting on that spot? DWKennedy's post was by far the most helpful for me. I've hunted private for a few years and there is no scouting needed. I just sit in my stand and wait for the feeders to sound. 20 - 30 minutes later, BOOM! Venison!

On the WMA maps, what does it mean when I see a tractor on the map? Any restrictions on hunting on that spot?

I've been on Google Maps all freaking day. Have about three chokepoints I'm going to scout this weekend ahead of rifle season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom