Sooo...I can kinda see why people road hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AllOut; "Anyone use walkie-talkies??? Ever told anyone you saw deer or where you saw them using one? Ever told your buddy he as deer headed his way? How about texting it and just calling...
All that is illegal."

I can't find this in the hunting regulations. Little help please. Thanks.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AllOut; "Anyone use walkie-talkies??? Ever told anyone you saw deer or where you saw them using one? Ever told your buddy he as deer headed his way? How about texting it and just calling...
All that is illegal."

Without looking it up the reg reads something like...
It's shall be unlawful to use electronic devices to give up the location of game.
It's the reason there is a big deal about the game cams the email/text the pics and why some want them outlawed.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still can't find it. I'll send an email to the wildlife department. Thanks.

Edit: Just found a searchable version of the regulations. Only thing I can find has to do with the apprentice license as described on page 10. I'll still send an email. Thanks.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All that is illegal."

That used to be the law. Just having a walkie talkie on you got you a ticket.
maybe somebody got hurt or had a heart attack and sued the state cause they couldn't call for help.
or maybe with everyone carrying a cellphone nowadays they figured it was impossible to enforce.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do people roadhunt?
How about I drove out to the John Lowery unit at Keystone last weekend.
From leaving hiway 99 til reaching JLU (about 5miles) I counted 61 deer in the road or alongside the road.
Had to stop twice for them to get out of the way. Almost hit one (missed by about 6 inches) and was only going 25mph.
Got to JLU, hunted all morning saw 0 deer.
For a lot of people especially meat hunters there would be a great temptation to pop one or hit it with their vehicle.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In SE Oklahoma its not road hunting, its "family time". Couple of years ago I was heading back to camp from a morning hunt in Three Rivers and came across a truck pulled over so I stopped to see if they were having trouble. It was a guy and his 10 +/- year old son and they had a doe down that they had shot road hunting. Guy flat out told me he saw the deer on the edge of the road and stopped so his son could shot it. Another quality dad/son bonding experience.

You can count on the second day of gun season as being nascar central in Three Rivers. I will say it makes stand hunting easier, the deer almost run into my stand cause they are hauling ass and looking back to see which ford/chevy/dodge is chasing them.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That used to be the law. Just having a walkie talkie on you got you a ticket.
maybe somebody got hurt or had a heart attack and sued the state cause they couldn't call for help.
or maybe with everyone carrying a cellphone nowadays they figured it was impossible to enforce.

I know it was law a couple years ago, I remember seeing it in the regs and again I was looking on something that had a list of "illegal/unlawful devices"
Do you know for sure if they changed it? I've never really heard it enforced anyway...

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it was law a couple years ago, I remember seeing it in the regs and again I was looking on something that had a list of "illegal/unlawful devices"
Do you know for sure if they changed it? I've never really heard it enforced anyway...

Well there is one rule (if it still exists) that I have broken...Me and my wife use two ways to keep in touch in places that have spotty cell service, such as Cookson WMA or Pushmataha WMA.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well there is one rule (if it still exists) that I have broken...Me and my wife use two ways to keep in touch in places that have spotty cell service, such as Cookson WMA or Pushmataha WMA.

Well IIRC using radios wasn't illegal as long as you didn't "give up location of game"
IE.... "hey you got a buck coming righ down the ridge to you, so get ready" lol
Im assuming something as innocent as "hey look out in that feild to the north" is probably a no go as well.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RE: Fwd: use of a walkie talkie or cellphone while hunting
Monday, October 15, 2012 8:34 AM
To:

You can use your cell phone or a walkie-talkie to communicate with another hunter.

Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 3:30 AM
To: Benge, Jennifer
Subject: Re: Fwd: use of a walkie talkie or cellphone while hunting

Thank you for your reply. My original question was unclear so I have another one.
Is there any other prohibition against using walkie-talkies or cell phones while hunting to communicate the location and/or movement of deer or other game to another hunter?
Thank you for your time. Best regards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom