Sooo...I can kinda see why people road hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hardest for me is start shooting time especially when it's a full moon. Nothing worse than seeing a big buck walk by or ducks swimming in your decoys and then just watch them take off because you still have 2 or 3 minutes to wait. Especially if you can clearly see them. It has to be way up on the list. I always hear duck hunters shoot early when I'm out.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^ shooting hours would definatly be one. Who actually looks at the watch while they are hunting, Hell who actually know the exact official sunrise/sunset in there are? Or do you just look out and say, "I can see just fine."

A lot of laws on private land we don't know or think about.
Like using screw in tree steps, or damaging a tree in any way (clearing shooting lanes, trimming branches etc) heck climbers are technically illegal on state owned land case they damage the tree. Summit are the only ones EPA approved.
Has anyone ever taken their orange hat off while in the stand for any reason?
Anyone use walkie-talkies??? Ever told anyone you saw deer or where you saw them using one? Ever told your buddy he as deer headed his way? How about texting it and just calling...
All that is illegal.
I'm sure we have all seen deer while driving, ever stopped to look or turned just a tad so your headlights hit them better? Thats Harassing the game and illegal
Ever blood tailed a deer onto someone elses property? Did you get permission to retrieve your deer?
There are tons of these I can throw out, I've seen a GW have his book out one time. Guy puts his hand on it and says, "I don't care who you are, at any given time I can find something in this book to write anyone a ticket for."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sat in stand all day long at Cookson WMA. Cold...Rain...Antsy in a stand that I can't move in. Saw multiple deer on the way there, does...bucks, you name it. Did not see a single thing all day, except some elk that some lady politely intervened in my wifes hunt to inform her that she could not hunt the elk. Duh. Left the WMA and there are at least 10 deer clustered in a yard not 500 yards from the entrance. Saw even more on the way to Marble City.

I'm not advocating breaking the law...But it's days like today where I sit on stand for 12 hours in the cold, wind and rain for zero gain sure make me momentarily question my ethics.

Hope this post doesn't get anyones panties in a wad...I'm not serious

To get the thread back on track.
Y'all know my position on road hunters/poachers.

Like the rest of you, Its amazing to see the big bucks/does from the vehicle window, but one has a good feeling when you can maybe slow down a little, observe the great animal, and continue on your way. I can't say that I won't consider the location at a later date, if I have permission to be there or its on a WMA. That animal is there for a reason. They are either going to, or coming from a place to eat or bed.
Just something to consider.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
^^^^ shooting hours would definatly be one. Who actually looks at the watch while they are hunting, Hell who actually know the exact official sunrise/sunset in there are? Or do you just look out and say, "I can see just fine."

A lot of laws on private land we don't know or think about.
Like using screw in tree steps, or damaging a tree in any way (clearing shooting lanes, trimming branches etc) heck climbers are technically illegal on state owned land case they damage the tree. Summit are the only ones EPA approved.
Has anyone ever taken their orange hat off while in the stand for any reason?
Anyone use walkie-talkies??? Ever told anyone you saw deer or where you saw them using one? Ever told your buddy he as deer headed his way? How about texting it and just calling...
All that is illegal.
I'm sure we have all seen deer while driving, ever stopped to look or turned just a tad so your headlights hit them better? Thats Harassing the game and illegal
Ever blood tailed a deer onto someone elses property? Did you get permission to retrieve your deer?
There are tons of these I can throw out, I've seen a GW have his book out one time. Guy puts his hand on it and says, "I don't care who you are, at any given time I can find something in this book to write anyone a ticket for."

I waite till I can see atleast 100 yards pretty well. It may not be right but it what I was taught.

Latest posts

Top Bottom