Sooo...I can kinda see why people road hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^ shooting hours would definatly be one. Who actually looks at the watch while they are hunting, Hell who actually know the exact official sunrise/sunset in there are? Or do you just look out and say, "I can see just fine."

The official sunset and sunrise tables are in the odw book. Keep in mind that your longitute can make it change by a couple of minutes from one side of the state to the other, and yes the ODW does monitor shooting times. One can also google SunriseSunset.com and put in your location and get the correct time for your location. This is one of the reasons they were not in favor of using supressors for hunting. Gun shots are time markers.

A lot of laws on private land we don't know or think about. What laws are these? I have private ground
Like using screw in tree steps, or damaging a tree in any way (clearing shooting lanes, trimming branches etc) heck climbers are technically illegal on state owned land case they damage the tree. Summit are the only ones EPA approved.
Has anyone ever taken their orange hat off while in the stand for any reason?
Anyone use walkie-talkies??? Ever told anyone you saw deer or where you saw them using one? Ever told your buddy he as deer headed his way? How about texting it and just calling...
All that is illegal.
I'm sure we have all seen deer while driving, ever stopped to look or turned just a tad so your headlights hit them better? Thats Harassing the game and illegal
Ever blood tailed a deer onto someone elses property? Did you get permission to retrieve your deer?
There are tons of these I can throw out, I've seen a GW have his book out one time. Guy puts his hand on it and says, "I don't care who you are, at any given time I can find something in this book to write anyone a ticket for."

Just a few comments.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the way into my house the road goes by Corps land where hunters park just off the road on a wide part of the sholder. Couple of years ago a pick-up was parked there like normal. It was a cold damp miserable day, at least in my opinion, to be stomping around in the woods. It was one of those moments where you wished you had one of the old Poloroid cameras with you. They could have came back and found a picture under their wiper of 10-12 turkeys around their truck, one was even up in the bed pecking around. I would think that picture could have generated a lot of four letter words. I guess it better they most likely never knew.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was timed by a GW in Osage county a few years ago. As an old military guy, I make sure my watch is accurate for the day.

Saw a doe, on the last day of gun season, and shot her about 5 minutes before the close. Two minutes later a buck came out, and I shot him. With two minutes to go, I was legal but close.

My buddy and I drug them back to truck on a cart and were field dressing them in the headlights. GW just appeared, and checked my license, etc. He did mention that we were darned close to the end of shooting time, so he evidently was timing us. We werent too far from a country road, so he probably saw our orange in the tree.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting times are probably the hardest when bow hunting. The deer have the advantage, you get one nearby, it's not shooting light yet....that is a quandry. When duck hunting, every hunt I hear people shooting 5-10 minutes before legal shooting light.

Latest posts

Top Bottom