City Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really interesting article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121005100909.htm

A few parts that stand out:

ScienceDaily (Oct. 5, 2012) — About five miles from Chicago O'Hare International Airport, scientists have located the smallest known coyote territory ever observed. For at least six years, a coyote community has maintained its existence within about a third of a square mile.

In comparing his findings about coyote survival in cities to research by another group on those living in rural areas, Gehrt has found that the urban coyote pup survival rate is five times higher than the rate for rural pups. In both environments, humans are the coyotes' primary predator.

Coyotes are the largest of the mammalian carnivores to have made their way to, and thrived in, urban settings, Gehrt said.
"The coyote is the test case for other animals. Raccoons, skunks, foxes -- they've already been able to penetrate the urban landscape pretty well. The coyote is the most recent and largest. The jury's out with what's going to happen with the bigger ones," he said.
The bigger ones include wolves, mountain lions and bears. Mountain lions have been seen on the fringes of cities already, and one was shot near the Wrigleyville neighborhood of Chicago.
"They are going to be an even bigger challenge," Gehrt said

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really interesting article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121005100909.htm

A few parts that stand out:

ScienceDaily (Oct. 5, 2012) - About five miles from Chicago O'Hare International Airport, scientists have located the smallest known coyote territory ever observed. For at least six years, a coyote community has maintained its existence within about a third of a square mile.

Its because they have a source of food there.

If they don't have food, they move.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You hear stories about coyotes grabbing chihuahuas off leashes in the subburbs while their horrified owners watch dumbfounded. The modern world is breeding a newly emboldend coyote that'll creep up behind you in the Starbuck's and steal your coffee.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You hear stories about coyotes grabbing chihuahuas off leashes in the subburbs while their horrified owners watch dumbfounded. The modern world is breeding a newly emboldend coyote that'll creep up behind you in the Starbuck's and steal your coffee.

Your wrong. Those are cougars in starbucks.......Looking for young bucks.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went outside to see what the ruckus of sirens was the other night, and after the 2nd ambulance had passed on the main road to the west of me, I could hear a bunch of coyotes yipping and howling out east of my house. They weren't too far off either. I thought with all the building going on around my house they'd have moved on, but they're as close as they've ever been.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the burbs but there are still some open fields scattered around between the housing editions. In the one directly to the south of my, I hear a pack 'o yotes howling all the time at night. Every once and a while in the early morning hours, I'll catch one digging through the trash bags that get set out every Monday and Thursday night. Seems the yotes know the schedule pretty well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom