.22 caliber failure to fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you having problems with .22 ammo with failure to fire, failure to load, failure to eject?

It does not matter which brand I use, I am having about a 10% or more failure to fire.

I have four S&W 22a semi-auto pistols and they all have this problem. One is brand new, one has about 400 rounds through it and two have a lot of rounds through them.

If you have a .22 semi-auto that is eating anything - would you share the make and model with me.

I do know that these guns will fail fire,eject, and load if shot by a 'limp wristed individual'.

For those who own a Beretta Neos, how are they doing? Will they shoot about any brand of ammo or are they picky.

Thanks.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use CCI & Federal bulk packs. I shoot a variety of revolvers & rifles and very rarely have any problems. Try polishing your feed ramp with a green scotch brite scouring pad or some very fine OOOO steel wool... that shoud solve a lot of your deeding problems

I had a Beretta .22 LR Bobcat with the pop-up barrel... I couldn't trade it off fast enough. Every few rounds I was having to shove a cleaning rod down the barrel to knock a fired case out. The way it was designed, when fired, the thin brass cases would swell and jam inside the chamber. That is the advantage of Glocks & AKs, as they have such loose tolerances in their chambers that they will cycle just about any ammo on the market. If you will ever look at a aluminum case fired in a Glock, you can usually see the kind of puckering I'm referring too with your naked eye. In .22s that puckering can cause a lot of problems if the gun has tight tolerances in the chamber and a short feed ramp. The extracted round doesn't clear fast enough before the next live round is cycled in.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Ruger Standard likes anything. I have a Walther that is a little more finicky I had a few failure to extract, but a good cleaning of the extracter seemed to cure that. I have a Bersa that doesn't seem to care what I feed it.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend, I have had good luck with all Ruger MK 2 22/45, and Ruger MK 3 22/45 with all ammo. I once owned a Ruger MK 2 standard version and it also worked great with all kinds of ammo. I also have experience with Beretta 21A and they do well also. I have used many kinds of ammo Fed-Win-Rem-CCI-even Armscor, without many issues. If I was to avoid one it would be Remington yellow jackets. Years ago I had a terrible time with them feeding in a 10/22. My prefered ammo is anything CCI and Federal. A website that may be of interest is rimfirecentral.com You might find good info on improving your issues with the Smith and Wesson's. I have no experience with Smith and Wesson .22's. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php PS I am not responsible for the money you will spend on .22's after reading the great info from that site. Good luck

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you having problems with .22 ammo with failure to fire, failure to load, failure to eject?

It does not matter which brand I use, I am having about a 10% or more failure to fire.

I have four S&W 22a semi-auto pistols and they all have this problem. One is brand new, one has about 400 rounds through it and two have a lot of rounds through them.

If you have a .22 semi-auto that is eating anything - would you share the make and model with me.

I do know that these guns will fail fire,eject, and load if shot by a 'limp wristed individual'.

For those who own a Beretta Neos, how are they doing? Will they shoot about any brand of ammo or are they picky.

Thanks.

I think I found your problem.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Thanks.

Friend, I have had good luck with all Ruger MK 2 22/45, and Ruger MK 3 22/45 with all ammo. I once owned a Ruger MK 2 standard version and it also worked great with all kinds of ammo. I also have experience with Beretta 21A and they do well also. I have used many kinds of ammo Fed-Win-Rem-CCI-even Armscor, without many issues. If I was to avoid one it would be Remington yellow jackets. Years ago I had a terrible time with them feeding in a 10/22. My prefered ammo is anything CCI and Federal. A website that may be of interest is rimfirecentral.com You might find good info on improving your issues with the Smith and Wesson's. I have no experience with Smith and Wesson .22's. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php PS I am not responsible for the money you will spend on .22's after reading the great info from that site. Good luck

For our classes we have Ruger MK II 22-45's & MK III 22-45's and they eat any and all if cleaned and oiled regularly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom