2012 Rut Reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope so dlbleak, here is my report from Sunday and Monday. Sunday...nothing, Yesterday I sat all day in the timber and had good movement. Around 7:30 I hear a deer coming, its a doe moving pretty quick, shes out about 70 yards, following her was the beast I posted in the trail cam picture thread last week, he is a monster! The first time I have seen him in person, he is dogging her pretty good, I hit the grunt tube, no sound WTH? I look inside and the reed is gone, I dropped it out of a tree last week and the reed was knocked out, I hit the bleat can, he stops, looks back and does a snort wheeze, first time I have ever heard a buck do that...so I do it back... he goes on chasing the doe. In the meantime a pretty good 8 I didn't see heard me snort wheeze and he is coming to me, Im up and ready but the buck is looking at something else behind me, I look back...and there is an 11 point I have lots of pictures of, standing 45 yards behind me, with a brush pile between me and him, the 8 stiff legs it over to the 11, they push each other around, and then both turn and go east, I see the doe running past then the BIG buck, and the 8 & 11 take off in that same direction...whew! no shot opportunity but big time fun...does and fawns trickled through off and on then around 3 pm a good 10 comes in on the same trail the 11 was on, he just heads off in the wrong direction...it was a fun day, didn't get a shot but saw some great bucks, need to get out this week and move that stand 40-50 yds to the east and south and I should be in business. I did go back to the tree I dropped my call out of and found the reed, a needle in a stack of needles, put it back in and the call still works. I guess my rut report is that some does are definitely nearing estrous, should be on this week and hopefully next

ltracer2012

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hunting so hard and I'm just getting shut out. I'm in the pauls valley area and Ive killed one doe this year that's it. But I saw one buck Sunday night and he was a good one just no shot. But when I check the cameras I have them on em all night 4 different ones just last night. I have no signs of any ruttin yet. This year has been strange.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today was a good day. Had a buck pass by this morning behind some does. Grunting the whole time. Not really dogging them, but definitely tailing them. Had the exact same thing happen this evening with a different buck and single doe. I was hunting out of a natural blind nestled in to a pile of cedars. They all passed by at what I would call Danger Close and never caught on to me. Bucks just didn't size up for what I would like to shoot. 115" and 120" respectively.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Had to attend a furneral in Bartlesville today, graveside was in Prague. So I travel from just NW of Enid to Bartlesville, Bartlesville to Prague(via Turner Turnpike/Stroud), after Prague down to I-40, west to OKC, North on I-35 to highway 412 and west past Enid. Probably around 450 miles, I saw two road kill deer, one small buck west of Bartlesville and a dead doe east of Shawnee on I-40. No live deer spotted. So if we're going by road kill to judge the rut, it aint happening.

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seen more activity the last 2 days than I have seen in 2 weeks. Seen the does moving out before dark last night. Then tonight on the way home seen the does in the same field and about 2-300 yards from my driveway had a nice 10 come running across the field with his head down every few feet and hopped the road while I watched like I wasn't even there. He was headed to the field the does were in. This is all on my mile section I live/hunt on but about 1/4-1/4 mile off my property. Then in my blind tonight I shot a small doe just to get some meat in the freezer. First deer I have seen in 3-4 weeks. Once the last full moon set in the deer stopped coming in before 9-10pm.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had to attend a furneral in Bartlesville today, graveside was in Prague. So I travel from just NW of Enid to Bartlesville, Bartlesville to Prague(via Turner Turnpike/Stroud), after Prague down to I-40, west to OKC, North on I-35 to highway 412 and west past Enid. Probably around 450 miles, I saw two road kill deer, one small buck west of Bartlesville and a dead doe east of Shawnee on I-40. No live deer spotted. So if we're going by road kill to judge the rut, it aint happening.

I actually agree. I would say it is fast approaching but is not full bore yet. Not in my neck of the woods anyways.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I hunt in your neck of the woods so that's what I like to hear!
But Okie keeps telling me other wise LOL....

I like to keep you on your toes:) Of all the bucks I saw at the water hole in the other post, only the shooter was really chasing a doe fairly hard, all those other bucks in the video came in together, although quite agitated with each other, we're not full swing yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom