Advice needed, please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need some advice from people that have sold personal vehicles before.

Ok, I sold my 2005 Altima to a guy last night. He had looked at it and driven it Sunday and we agreed on a deal. He took the car last night and everything was peachy keen. Here's the problem, he called me after he got home to Chandler and said that the car wouldn't start. It would try to, but not turn over. The car was working 100% when he took it. He seems very honest and I do not believe he is trying to pull anything. I really don't want to sell someone a bad vehicle, but I have never had any problems with it. The problem is that he still owes me some money on it(yes we have a contract).

Any advice on a course of action? I don't want to just say, "Too bad, we have a contract," but I really don't want to take the car back considering it worked fine until he took it. Again, he seems very honest and I don't think he is trying to pull anything.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell him to bring the car back and you'll give his money back to him. Sorry to sound like your mom or dad but never sell a car to anyone that can't give you all the money at the ONLY transaction.

Now, if the dude screwed the car up see if he'll pay you for what he screwed up???!!!

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell him to bring the car back and you'll give his money back to him. Sorry to sound like your mom or dad but never sell a car to anyone that can't give you all the money at the ONLY transaction.

Now, if the dude screwed the car up see if he'll pay you for what he screwed up???!!!

You're so right on the single transaction. I have no doubt it was something he did. The car worked too good to crap out suddenly without some kind of user error.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, he may not be asking for anything. He may be just feeling you out to see if this has happened before or if you will offer to do something for him. I'm sure you've already assured him that this has never happened before.

I would have him try to get it to a local shop to be checked out. If he has tow coverage on his insurance, he can probably get it somewhere for free. It may be something simple and you guys can agree to split the difference on the repair if it was pre-existing. Since he still owes you money, you're going to have a hard time collecting until the issue is resolved. Regardless, of whether you take it back or not, the car is going to have to be repaired or towed so you have nothing to lose either way.

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a van from a friend and the starter went out the next day. Just 'cuz it WAS working fine doesn't mean it's not broke now. If you want the deal to complete peacefully, you might need to try to help him with whatever the mechanical issue is.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold a 2003 VW about two months ago on CL. I was worried about this situation occuring but I told the person buying it about all the problems I knew about, everything I had replaced/repaired and what would need repaired/replaced in the not too distant future. He paid cash, I signed the title and had it notarized. After that, I was no longer the responsible party for the car. The only way I would have went back on the deal was if the car had issues trying to start and leave the parking lot. To me that is the one caveat about buying a used car. You never know when or what will break.

If you honestly believe the guy, figure out what is wrong and either take the full or part of the repair out of the amount he owes you. However, I agree that you do not enter into a deal were the person cannot pay you everything up front, unless you are in the position to not be harmed if you never see that money.

I have had my car start in the morning, make it to work, sluggish/rough start at lunch, and not start from dead alternator and battery when leaving from work. I have also had a coolant plastic junction pipe completely rupture dumping most of my coolant into the engine bay. Things happen and cars are prone to unexpected and random failures.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ask him how he wants to resolve the problem. Try to find a solution you're both satisfied with. Funny you never had a problem with the car and all of a sudden he does, unless maybe you haven't driven the car in a long time. Once he left your driveway he took ownership. Don't make any bargain you're not in control of, like letting him take the car to a mechanic and agreeing to assume the cost.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I already underpriced the car for him. I disclosed every tic it has ever had(which is none). I am working with him to try and narrow the issue down, but it's hard because I have no clue where to start since the car was running fine and I can't get my hands in it easily now(I live in Del City, he's in Chandler). I just did a full service myself this weekend. Car was also sold as is, but yeah, moneys...He did accuse me of doing the "run the car before the buyer shows up" scam, to which I reminded him that he checked the oil and engine before he took it and he would have noticed then if it was pre-started. He immediatelly apologized and took back the accusation.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ask him how he wants to resolve the problem. Try to find a solution you're both satisfied with. Funny you never had a problem with the car and all of a sudden he does, unless maybe you haven't driven the car in a long time. Once he left your driveway he took ownership. Don't make any bargain you're not in control of, like letting him take the car to a mechanic and agreeing to assume the cost.

We are working on a middle ground. The car doesn't get driven very often, but enough that this issue would have already come up for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom