Why Do Christians Celebrate Halloween?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, this will stir the pot some but I'm interested in your thoughts.

I will begin by telling you that my wife and I made the decision 9 or 10 years ago not to celebrate halloween. We dressed up my 12 year old when she was a toddler but she was too young to remember. All of our friends (family, church friends and acquaintances) all celebrate halloween and we're cool with that. I'm not the kind of guy that says that just because I feel convicted spiritually about something, mean everyone els should too. However, I'd like to share a few things that crossed my mind back when we decided not to celebrate halloween any longer. It is my reasoning. Maybe it will resonate with some of you. Maybe not. Maybe you'll think I'm crazy. Maybe you'll think it makes sense. Maybe some of you will even come to the conclusion that I did when it first struck me. Either way, I'm not here to condemn anyone who celebrates this day. Just give my reasoning for not celebrating it.

1. Dark Beginnings - Halloween's orgin has many disputed details but one thing is certain. It was originally a Celtic holiday in which people feared the dark spirits in the passing of the dead from one realm to the other on the night before the Celtic new year. I know many holidays have elements that are dark or have become twisted but this one's orgin is here.

2. Conversation Converted Satan Worshiper - Long conversation but this guy talked about how great he used to think it was that Christians were so tempted by the thought of evil worship that they would dip toes in each year to "play evil" for a day.

3. It's Really Another Religion's Holiday - Though it's beginning had to do with the Celtic Catholic church, it was more based on how the church would deal with a "big day" for evil.

4. Not For That Reason Excuse Doesn't Work For Me - To me, saying that one celebrates Halloween but not for evil reasons doesn't make sense. It would be like a Jewish family passing around gifts on Dec 25th but saying it's not for Christmas. Sure dressing up is fun. Costume parties for birthdays and the like would be great. But not scheduled intentionally to coincide with this holiday. I'm a guy who feels it is great for Christians to fast. However, I don't look at my calendar to find when Ramadan begins so that I can coordinate my fasting with this muslim holiday and then say it's not for that reason. If it weren't for that reason, you wouldn't do it on that day.

5. Example For My Kids - It's a chance for me to show my kids that I am willing to stand by my beliefs and honor God no matter what others around me are doing. Christians often will at least quietly ask themselves "Could I be a martyr". What they are saying is that if all around me was crumbling and I were asked to deny God, would I be willing to go to my death without denying? I think for most the answer is no. If one is not willing to sacrifice a little self gratification and one day of fun for their religious beliefs (yes dressing up is fun), then what makes that person think he would die for them?

I once heard this saying that changed the way I look at alot of things.

"If you really believe what you say you believe, then why do you do the things you do?"

I have to ask myself: If I really believe that Jesus is who I say I believe Jesus is, then why in the heck would I even dabble in some meaningless crap like halloween.

Anyway, Share your thoughts. Do you celebrate halloween? Do ya think I'm crazy? Even if you still celebrate, does it make sense why I don't?

Please don't turn this into a religion bashing thread (any religion or lack of). That's not the point. Just the reasons I don't celebrate and wondering if anyone else on here has shared my thoughts.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You celebrate Easter, Christmas? Look at the history of these holidays and see how they evolved. Just as Halloween evolved so did Easter and Christmas. Theres nothing evil about Halloween anymore than theres anything "Christian" about how Easter or Christmas is celebrated.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You celebrate Easter, Christmas? Look at the history of these holidays and see how they evolved. Just as Halloween evolved so did Easter and Christmas. Theres nothing evil about Halloween anymore than theres anything "Christian" about how Easter or Christmas is celebrated.

Beat me to it.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have what we call HallowHim at our church. Kids dress in nonscary outfits and come to life center for carnival. Nothing satanic about it. Will have hundreds of kids attend.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Correct 1000000%

And I'm in it for the chocolate!

Westsidebob

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
And, going trick or treating isn't "celebrating" , to me anyway. Good point with Christmas and easter. But I agree with you in that if you are thinking it's bad and you feel convicted not to do it, then you shouldn't.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Caving to the 1% is not worth robbing my children of the excitement and imagination-stimulating activities associated with Halloween. The dark side of Halloween is real, but has nothing to do with what we celebrate in modern Halloween. Some people make a stand on the silliest of stances, just to look good in front of other adults. All the while the child just wants to be a child. Manufactured outrage or stances are just that, manufactured. Everyone is free to have their own opinions and stances; mine is that my children will enjoy all there is to with modern day Halloween, while we explain to them what a very small portion of the world chooses to use Halloween for (aka the "dark side"). Just as I will not steal the joy of my children when it comes to believing in Santa Claus. Sometimes we just need to let our kids be kids - they have the rest of their lives to deal with the dark side of society

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
halloween was the Celt's version of Thanksgiving, the "final harvest of the season." As with a lot of primitive cultures it became a religious occasion and they would often make sacrifices of grains, animals, and evenutally people to appease the god that they thought was responisible for their misfortunes.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caving to the 1% is not worth robbing my children of the excitement and imagination-stimulating activities associated with Halloween. The dark side of Halloween is real, but has nothing to do with what we celebrate in modern Halloween. Some people make a stand on the silliest of stances, just to look good in front of other adults. All the while the child just wants to be a child. Manufactured outrage or stances are just that, manufactured. Everyone is free to have their own opinions and stances; mine is that my children will enjoy all there is to with modern day Halloween, while we explain to them what a very small portion of the world chooses to use Halloween for (aka the "dark side"). Just as I will not steal the joy of my children when it comes to believing in Santa Claus. Sometimes we just need to let our kids be kids - they have the rest of their lives to deal with the dark side of society

Well said.

Besides, I'm only in it for the candy anyway...

Latest posts

Top Bottom