Why Do Christians Celebrate Halloween?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another spin. If you go waaaayyyy back in history, various pagan events used this holiday to celebrate/encourage/predict demonic mischief and the underworld was pretty much believed by people to run free on Earth causing trouble. I'm sure it was great fun for some, but many many people were terrified by this belief.

Churches reacted to this holiday/belief/terror by opening their doors to people for shelter and comfort. In time of fear, churches offered an alternative place to hang out for a day or so. We snicker at this, but most people took this stuff very seriously. I think Halloween provides Christianity with a strong story to tell. Now, as then, Christ and His Church provides the same offer now and tomorrow for real or imagined fear.

I don't think local churches should shy away from the holiday; just explain it. Anyway, that's the way I look at it.

Good take on it.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, as a Christian I choose to celebrate every day... because nobody knows when the end is coming so you should live every day as if it is your last. As for a day being satanic...horse pucky...I believe Satan only has the power you give him over you. So if you celebrate Halloween with the worship of God in your heart and on you lips It's not any more satanic than a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The folks at the church I attend (and every church I know of for the last 20 years) have now shunned Halloween and celebrate "Fall Festival". What a load of bull. They hand out candy to visitors, etc...but never utter the word Hallowen.
Christmas and Easter (as mentioned in earlier post) are celebrated as HOLY days, in spite of their origins. And in spite of Galatians....
Some folks don't get that celebration or lack of "holoiday" is unimportant. A relationship and trust in Christ is what matters. Everything else is "works".

My .02.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If y'all want to have some fun with it this year, save up all of your condiment packages from fast food drive-thrus and keep them in a seperate bucket for the teenagers who are too old to be out trick or treating.

"Aww man... I got tartar sauce and honey mustard." :(
LOL ,I always do this...(thought I was the only one ...)

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im a non Christian Agnostic with pagan leanings and a former Catholic\, and my wife is a practicing Christian heavily involved in her Methodist church. She and our children, hers and mine, have always celebrated Halloween with me, which is my favorite time of the year as well as one of my daughters birthdays. My mother was and is a devout Catholic and we always celebrated it when I was a kid. As a kid in growing up in my neighborhood in San Diego county the day after Halloween fests, 'Días de los Muertos', were really bigger than Halloween.

Latest posts

Top Bottom