Duck season opener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't even need a calendar to know when it's duck season. I have an 18 mile commute from work south of Ponca City. I was traveling with several air and mud boats headed north. Getting into town, the motel parking lots were full of camo boats headed for Kaw lake in the morning.
Anybody make it out this morning?

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I had to deliver a calf to the process plant and so I didn't get out until 12 noon. I was actually going to just sneak through the woods (tinney shoe and low crawl type) until I found two really fresh scraps. I mean really worked up and still kind of wet with urine. I have a trypod stand only about 40 yards from the scraps and so I plan on returning about 4 pm and set till dark.

Bobber Down

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I had to deliver a calf to the process plant and so I didn't get out until 12 noon. I was actually going to just sneak through the woods (tinney shoe and low crawl type) until I found two really fresh scraps. I mean really worked up and still kind of wet with urine. I have a trypod stand only about 40 yards from the scraps and so I plan on returning about 4 pm and set till dark.

Very strange way to duck hunt!!!! LOL...

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a good start to zone 2. 37 birds, mostly teal.

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_photo_31.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great hunt porter! I saw lots of mallards, teal, and redheads on Sooner lake this morning.

Viking, pics or it didn't happen, but put them in the right thread! LOL!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great hunt porter! I saw lots of mallards, teal, and redheads on Sooner lake this morning.

Viking, pics or it didn't happen, but put them in the right thread! LOL!

Dennis,
Sooner is always an interesting place to hunt. Those local birds early in the season seem to know to completely avoid the East side of the lake. However, when the migration really kicks in, it can be quite productive. You really have to be on the X out there, and that seems to change from day to day. The difference between killing a quick limit and getting skunked can be as simple as setting up in blind 10 when they want to be at 11 or 12 when they want to be at 13 etc etc. I've hunted out there for years and have to say I've never completely figured it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom