Where to buy and what kind of wheat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any particular kind to buy here in Oklahoma, from what I've read the hard red winter is probably the best to buy. Do you have any stored? What mill do you have? Where did you get your grain?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best place I've found so far is the Oklahoma Food Coop....membership is cheap and you get your fee back if you ever decide to leave the coop. Order online at the beginning of the month and pickup at closest delivery point on delivery day.

Hard red is available already packed in 2.5/3 gallon buckets (and frozen once to kill bugs) for far cheaper than any traditional "prepper" resources ($15 for a 25lb pail or $9 for a 25lb bag)...and you support Oklahoma farmers.

http://www.oklahomafood.coop/

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a couple of cheaper table top mills....but my intended use is simpler recipes like hot wheat berry cereal with honey and/or brown sugar....or sprouted wheat, so the mills are just backup.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a neighbor with a really neat old grain mill. It's about the size of a 30 gal drum. I'm thinking that I'm going and try to deal him out of it.

Seriously?!?!?! :lookaroun HEY! Can I meet your neighbor when we come camping?? :wink2:

Hey guys, keep in mind that some wheat really doesn't make bread all that good ...

Here's the rundown ...

Soft Wheat - Not so good for breads unless you add a dough enhancer and/or mix with hard red or white. Used in bakeries for cakes, pie crusts, pastries.
Hard Red - Used in "whole wheat" bread recipes. Makes the best breakfast cereals -- hardier taste than the other wheats.
Hard White - Not as "rustic" a flavor as Hard Red Wheat. Best wheat for bread, rolls, etc. Tastes like Cream of Wheat to me, so pretty bland flavor.

Hard Red and Hard White are also used for meat extenders.

Believe it or not, the resident baker does not have a mill. :shocked: Seriously, I buy flour from the store. I do need to get a mill though. This is this one I want:

https://www.lehmans.com/p-45-diamant-grain-mill.aspx

Keep in mind that you can use beans and rice to make flour also but these will not yield the same types of breads you are used to. Good for other baked things though ... Like sweets. If you haven't tried pinto bean brownies or fudge you need to ... :wink2:

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like sweets. If you haven't tried pinto bean brownies or fudge you need to ... :wink2:

heycoolkid.files.wordpress.com_2011_12_yuck_optimized.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom