How to turn a good shot into a nightmare.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the proof that no matter how much you practice, how well your rifle works, how good the ammo is - nature is unpredictable.

Saw two deer in the middle of the pasture - they have been staying away from any cover or structures in day light.
Walk directly at them for at least 500 yards - I've heard that walking towards deer works, and yes it does!
Got to a high spot where I could see them and far enough from cattle. 200 yards, 7mm-08 SNBT.

i50.tinypic.com_2qbw2et.jpg

First bullet fragment shaved the side, ripped 2" square of skin, missed the guts, broke rear leg, and planted the ripped out hair in a neat pocket by the butt. I recovered (and lost before taking the picture) the fragment - it was a size of a 22LR bullet fired at a steel plate.

Deer immediately fell, but then got up and took few steps dragging - heck of a surprise when I was aiming at the neck; so I shot her again (shoulder round wound). I knew what happened when I saw barbwire hanging. One in a million I guess; I'm just glad she didn't get spooked on the first shot - I don't think that it would be recoverable.

i49.tinypic.com_b8s3mw.jpg

Last edited:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It can happen to any of us Boost...you are correct in that. And if we hunt long enough, something will happen and often we never know what because we never recover the deer. Just hunting but it stinks when it happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom