Please help with this Franchi shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know nothing about shotguns.

Friend died. He was almost 80. His wife didn't know he owned a gun. Had to get the furnace fixed and this gun was behind the furnace in the attic. She's guessing it hasn't been shot in 20 years maybe more? I can't figure out what model this is and what the value of the gun is. She could definitely use the $$ and doesn't want to completely undervalue the thing. By my research this could be worth $150 or could be worth over a grand depending on model, etc.

It is very light. From nose to tail it's right at 73 inches. I can't find a model number. If it will help, when I get home I can post the markings I can find. Gun is in very good shape.

Can anyone help?

i210.photobucket.com_albums_bb165_bigtexokc_Shooters_20121127_200550.jpg

i210.photobucket.com_albums_bb165_bigtexokc_Shooters_20121127_200605.jpg

i210.photobucket.com_albums_bb165_bigtexokc_Shooters_20121127_200634.jpg

i210.photobucket.com_albums_bb165_bigtexokc_Shooters_20121127_200619.jpg

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/un04w6b1pb8xt7w/20121127_200700.mp4[/video]

DORR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a fancy version of the 48AL. It's a long recoil autoloader similar in action to the Browning Auto 5. Pretty popular with bird hunters a few decades ago. They still make small gauge versions of this model.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to start my post by making clear the fact that I am not a shotgun expert.

I have to believe that based on the pictures it is the Eldorado Gold model as the poster above described. The value in perfect condition is listed at $450 in the Modern Gun Values book.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a follow up, if you Google Franchi Eldorado Gold, you can actually find it in the same book I have as a google books preview. It is in the 3rd link from the top.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a nice looking gun and theoretically should run $6-800 or more.
However there is a problem. Nowadays if it ain't a black assault home defense gun nobody wants it unless its dirt cheap.
You should list it on gunbroker so you get nationwide exposure and maximum price.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe these were very popular with pheasant hunters, and quail when there where still quail around, because they were VERY light. the 20 gauge 28" barrel weighted somewhere around 5.2 or 5.5 lbs I THINK. Hunters liked them. U might find a better market marketing them to pheasant hunters in KS or the Dakotas. Not that popular with skeet shooters because they are too light for skeet. I have always wanted one. The usually have a 2 3/4 chamber in the 20 gauge which limit their appeal a little bit. A one time 20 or so years ago they were the semi-auto to carry in the field. I passed last year on a 20 gauge that was not that pretty but it was pretty spruced up because it had 2 3/4 chamber and i wanted a 3" in a 20 gauge. He wanted around 400 for it and could not find a local buyer for it.

i would do like he said and sell on gunbroker and get national exposure. i am not sure of the price, i am thinking 500 just because they are out of style and demand IMO. every one wants a O/U even the cheap ugly ones will sell before a pretty semi-auto.

did you say what gauge it is? I think a 20 would bring more than a 12. IMO.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Franchi is my favorite shotgun, the problem is they are a real hard sale. I had a O/U Alcione 20ga and liked to never sold it, along with several others. Great shotguns hard resale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom