Coyote hunting in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats another good tip to mention r00s7a. take you a shot gun to the stand...you never know.

okhunter has posted up that he does shots with in 50yrds +/- or whatever he is choked with on the shotgun. scott (okhunter) carries and AR15? model and shotgun to the stand. after my last year encounter with a yote at 6ft i will never leave the shotgun in the truck again. the fun part is getting them in that close to shot gun one... good patience and calling skills. (mine showed up and just bolted in towards my buddy that was calling behind me) if they get shot gun close and you miss, then bust out rifle and start stretching out the shots. also guys who have a heavy tree area would have better results with a shot gun im sure. if they hang up to far and you can get to the rifle let'em have it.....

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all keep it up. I enjoy reading all the tactics and tips from everyone.

okhunter, why is it that you use a shotgun and not a rifle? In my simple mind it would seem that a rifle would give you a little further reach for those that hang up, but knowing your skills and results, you seem to be on the right track with a shotgun, so was just wondering what it is that makes you choose that weapon?

Most of the places I hunt are a lot like where you live, lots of timber and thickets. My main target this time of year are bobcats that I hunt in thick heavy cover where a shotgun just works better for me and does very little fur damage compared to a rifle. I still call lots of coyotes in the thicker cover and they almost always are moving shots with lots of obstacles in the way. I've found over the years that most predators respond much more aggressive in thicker cover which most times will require a faster shot. Cats are sometimes the exception but will still often come charging in, versus hanging up in the open or circling to another vantage point out of shotgun range. Even when I hunt out west I still use the same tactics for bobcats and kill them at close range, often at 20 yards or less. My shotgun gets used probably 95% of the time. I killed 7 coyotes in one day a couple of years ago and they were all taken at close range with a shotgun.
Hope this is what you were looking for.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thats another good tip to mention r00s7a. take you a shot gun to the stand...you never know.

okhunter has posted up that he does shots with in 50yrds +/- or whatever he is choked with on the shotgun. scott (okhunter) carries and AR15? model and shotgun to the stand. after my last year encounter with a yote at 6ft i will never leave the shotgun in the truck again. the fun part is getting them in that close to shot gun one... good patience and calling skills. (mine showed up and just bolted in towards my buddy that was calling behind me) if they get shot gun close and you miss, then bust out rifle and start stretching out the shots. also guys who have a heavy tree area would have better results with a shot gun im sure. if they hang up to far and you can get to the rifle let'em have it.....
Dude you have this predator hunting down!

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really hoping bass pro has another seminar this year in BA. I really want to start predator huntjng and reading all this just makes it worse!
There is one coming up January the 10th Thursday night at 7:00 at the Bass Pro in Broken Arrow. I will post another reminder when it gets closer.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude you have this predator hunting down!

don't let me fool ya...i only look good on paper.... :P
besides the more i can educate the yotes Okhunter, the more of a challenge i make for you and others... i'm just trying to make all you guys that MUCH better at your game...:rollingla. i will say that from the Perry seminar you did changed a lot of what i was doing and success started to shortly follow. i would like to say that if i dedicate an entire weekend to stands i can land a dog or two. the other thing i would like think helps is the tons of research and follow up i have done.

other things i can thing of:

if you do have a bad stand and everything fell apart, take a look back and replay in your mind the setup you did and figure out what happened right before the hang up; what call, did you or team mate move to soon, wind changes, etc... you can always learn something stand to stand, so there is really no such thing of a bad stand, learn from them and like anything else; if you want to become better at it....GET OUT AND START CALLING!!

also at times when a yote shows up, laying off the call "sometimes" is a good idea. remember that they have great ears and use them as a sonar. having a longer silence between the calls, lesser call sequence and or doing a few squeaks might be the ticket to at times.
v
v
v
v
side note--- my good news i just received this morning; i landed 600+ acres of land to hunt, the BEST part is; it is uncalled and never been seasonally hunted except for ducks and geese :w000t:

Latest posts

Top Bottom