The Shotgun, America's firearm!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everyone always gives the 1873 Winchester the title of "The Gun that won the West" when it was the settlers who with their lowly double barrel shotgun who did.
Next to the handgun, the shotgun is probably the most prolific firearm in America, from upland to lowland game hunters, gamers (3-gun and CAS) to hunters that can only use a shotgun due to state regulations, police, military, to grandpa's old SxS, to the rest of us who have one sitting in the corner, or behind a door, or under the bed. The shotgun, be it a single shot, SxS, lever action, O/U, pump or auto is the true American weapon. Load it with birdshot, buckshot, or slug, its a do anything gun, and more versatile than anything else we have as firearms. Even the smallest of them are now very effective defensive platforms(I'm talking about the .410). The .410 with the new loadings made for the .410 pistols are very effective out of a standard size pump action. With slugs or the new buckshot loads the little .410 can put some rounds on target with very fast followup shots due to low recoil. Target was first shot with a load of #6 at 25yds, and then five rounds of 00Buck loads. She will keep all the 00/000Buk loads on the target out to 50yds.

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree 100%. For Christmas I got Magpuls DVD "The Art of the Dynamic Shotgun" and I can't say enough good about it. It is one serious defensive shotgunning training video set. If you want to get serious about running a shotgun those DVDs are for you, they'll teach how to bring that shotgun to life.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been singing praises for the good ol' scattergun for years and years.

If I were stranded on a desert island and could only take ONE weapon with me, it would be my dearly beloved Mossberg 500. From birds to buffalo and everything in between, yessir, the shotgun does it all.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I acquired another shotgun over Christmas, a present from my brother, a Mossberg 500a 12Ga. with 18.5" barrel. Its used and missing the front sight bead, but other than needing a good cleaning, she's in great shape. Granted she's only a 5+1 loading, but its what I'm used to running. Sorry no pic's yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom