Sooner State Pawn Oklahoma Second Amendment Association 2A Shooting Center Harsh Firearms
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Archangel Mosin Nagant Stock

Please post up some pics and a range report after you have a chance to get everything set up.

Well mixed bag so far.

1. The stock quality, fitment, and feel is above my expectations.

2. The magazines are literally unusable. I have the 5 rounder it ships with, and two additional 10 rounders none of which will cycle ammo.
    a. Spring pressure in the mag seems to be way under powered.
    b. Binding issues between the mag follower and the mag internal walls.

I haven't heard back from ProMag yet as to what their resolution will be.

I think if they would reduce the outer dimensions of the mag follower coupled with some dry lube, it would go a long way to fixing the problem. I would love to do some modifications to test the theory with, but I guess I'll wait and leave them unmolested in case they want them back.

Ah the perils of the early adaptor... Thanks for being a guinea pig Johnny!

I told the tech at Promag that the springs in the mag were the weakest I had ever seen. He said they were fine as is and not to mess with them.

Here are some tips from a guy on Gunboards on what he did to make the mags work.
    So, I have developed a few tips :
    1) disassemble the brand new mags and check and grease or oil the followers a little bit to easy friction on the mag walls
    2) stretch the mag springs some , making sure the very end of the spring on the follower side follow the curve towards the bullet side of the follower, not the rimmed cartridge side. (Note, Promag said not to stretch the springs.)
    3) Always insert the magazine with the bolt closed

I got an email back. Two options: one I can send these back for replacement or two I can do an oven bake on them to get the mags formed back in spec. Apparently during manufacturing the sides of the mags bowed inwards during their cool down which is binding the follower. They have a YouTube video on the problem. I'll post it tonight when I'm out of the wheat field.

That's too bad that this is running into problems. I guess I'll wait on this until they get all the bugs worked out. Primarily it's just the magazines that are having the problem?

Nevermind... video explained quite a bit. Thanks.

Baked my mags early the morning. Put a thin layer of lube on the follower and they all work like they're supposed to. Easy fix for my problem

Quote Originally Posted by fubarjohnnyr View Post
    Baked my mags early the morning. Put a thin layer of lube on the follower and they all work like they're supposed to. Easy fix for my problem
    They must have figured the baking solution out after I sent my mag back, as they never mentioned any solution to my mag problem. I'm sure it would have fixed my problem.

That's Promag for you... they make some cool stocks, but they can't make mags worth a damn!
    Want to see how you and your gear perform under true field conditions? Check out the Pawnee Run 'n Gun, coming January 17, 2015: www.okrunngun.com

OSA Run 'n Gun thread:
    https://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...Gun-Get-Ready!

Oklahoma State Coordinator for Project Appleseed

Are you a Rifleman, or just a rifle owner?
    www.appleseedinfo.org
    e-mail me: OK@appleseedinfo.org

Got the new magazine yesterday and it appears to work.

We need pics!

I'm close to the final form, just added the optics today.

All mags have been tested and function as designed. Initially they did suffer from the sidewalls pinching the follower which was rectified by wedging the interior and heating in the oven. 15 minutes of cook time and a throw in water set the walls back out. I further filed all the plastic form seams from the top of the mag that could in any way interfere with the follower as it came into the top resting position. Follower sidewalls were dipped in graphite. There was a problem with the last round failing to feed up high enough for the bolt to catch it. Turned out that a small portion of the bottom/inside receiver wall from was catching the round as it transitioned into the action. (I can get a picture of this if it helps anyone). A small amount of file work took care of that issue.

The rear sight scout mount is an UTG Tri-rail. Pleasantly surprised it isn't just a cheap block of aluminum but the two piece base is actually steel. Mounting feels solid.
    http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Mosin-Naga.../dp/B001WIYTUG

Optic is a PFI Action-4 Quad Reticle Reflex 33mm sight. Wish I would of bought more of those when Woot.com had them for $130.00.
    http://www.rapidreticle.com/Main/Sco...?ID=16&grpID=8

The gun itself is one of the $119.00 Chinese T53's Budsgunshop has been selling lately. Metal was in great shape, wood stocks are beyond despicable.

Man, I want one... patience Arin... patience...

Default Archangel Mosin Nagant Stock

Assault Mosins are FUGLY! But, if it makes a libtard pee his pants, it's worth it.
    “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

“You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.”
    - Ray Bradbury