Sample Bill of Sale for Private Party Firearms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought this might help some folks with private firearms sales

Firearm Bill of Sale Transfer of Ownership
After receiving the agreed upon amount of $______, I, (___________________), have sold to (____________________) one (1) _______________________________________________________________, Serial # __________________, and the following accessories ________________________________________________________________________. I represent that this firearm is not stolen. I am the owner of the firearm listed above. If it can be shown now or in the future that this firearm was stolen prior to the date listed below, I will give the buyer a full refund for return of the firearm and all accessories listed above. This firearm is sold as is. No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller. Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place. Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to the firearm above. Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the firearm above. Buyer assumes all responsibility once transfer of ownership has taken place. Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this firearm and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said firearm. Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document, and acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership and certifies that he is 21 years of age or older. Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual. Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual. Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.
Additional notes and/or information: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Seller (print): ________________________________ Seller (sign): _________________________________ Date: ______________________________________ Phone Number: ______________________________ License State & Number: _______________________ Buyer (print): ________________________________ Buyer (sign): _________________________________ Date: _______________________________________ Phone Number: ______________________________ License State & Number

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to exchange a gun and cash, and then wish the other guy a nice day. I know some people prefer paperwork that doesn't mean anything because it's not notarized, or maybe even a NICS check, I prefer exchanging crap and wishing the other guy a nice day. If it's a real serious transaction, I may also include an optional handshake.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the effort, but I agree with KD. Cash exchanged for gun and everybody goes on their way. If somebody wants me to fill out paperwork, I'll be happy for them to buy/sell with somebody else.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a bit too long for my taste, I would like to avoid something that feels like you are reading the small print of a leasing agreement. Because I never travel to firearms FTF alone (my lady and I), I want to make the sale as quick as possible to minimize our exposure to a possible risky scenario while being as sure as possible that the transaction is legitimate.

IF I did a bill of sale I would prefer and be most comfortable with something short and sweet. Here is my chopped version of your example:

Date of Sale: ______________

Make: ____________
Model: __________
Caliber: ____________
Serial #: ______________

This firearm is sold as is. Buyer assumes all responsibility once transfer of ownership has taken place. The buyer attest that he meets all legal guidelines of firearms ownership as defined by the state of Oklahoma (this includes age, ability to pass background check and mental fitness).

Buyer: ____________
Signature: _____________

Seller: ______________
Signature: _______________

Last edited:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW I just sold a firearm last weekend to what appeared to be an upstanding citizen, all that occurred was a quick inspection of the firearm, cash exchange and a hand shake.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the no paperwork camp. If I am buying not from a dealer, I am not going to fill out or sign anything or show id, etc. Its a cash and go or no deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom