Sample Bill of Sale for Private Party Firearms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you buy a gun, and upon selling/trading it, it turns out to be hot, or you sell a gun, it's found to be a murder weapon, and the law finds that you bought it from some FFL.
Every time this topic comes up, hysterical hypotheticals are always lobbed into the discussion. It's simple:
1. Background checks in my opinion are unconstitutional (I can already hear the "But...but!!" responses coming). Until OK says otherwise regarding private sales, no silly non-binding private sale document will be given, or requested, by me
2. If you're in possession of a stolen gun, or one used previously in an unsolved crime, AND YOU CAN PROVE YOU WERE NOT INVOLVED IN SAID CRIME, at most you will be out of the cost of the weapon. Provide citation of case(s) if you disagree

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never sold a gun in my life but the document would not bother me one bit. Superdave is just trying to be helpful and is an important part of our community. Some of the comments don't sound like what a family member would say to another that was trying to help. I guess it takes all kinds to make this old world go around.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So you buy a gun, and upon selling/trading it, it turns out to be hot, or you sell a gun, it's found to be a murder weapon, and the law finds that you bought it from some FFL.

I see the bulk of responses saying you would be more comfortable without a bill of sale. Not sure I follow that logic . . .

I would like to see some responses from some of our attorneys on this question. If you are offended by me asking to see an OK ID, then we might not be able to do business.

And as for the "KMA" response above, who was that directed at? If it was directed at SuperDave, I'm a little put off by it. Whether one agrees with him or not, his post was a positive attempt to offer help.

Otherwise, I just don't understand it.
"Kiss My Ass" is for anyone that thinks I will give them my name, address, drivers license number, signature,etc. in a private sale. It is NOT the law.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold a gun today and used a bill of sale. Buyer voluntarily showed me his CCL. I don't see anything wrong attempting to cover my own ***. Especially in this climate. Buyer drove from an hour away, and before we agreed on a time and meeting place I asked if he would be okay with signing a bill of sale. No problem whatsoever.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold a gun today and used a bill of sale. Buyer voluntarily showed me his CCL. I don't see anything wrong attempting to cover my own ***. Especially in this climate. Buyer drove from an hour away, and before we agreed on a time and meeting place I asked if he would be okay with signing a bill of sale. No problem whatsoever.

Agreeing to this ahead of time is key. I personally wouldn't do it, but can understand the opinions of those that do. The worst thing you can do is trying to pull this on someone FTF without them agreeing to the "terms" ahead of time, first. Without it being notarized, I still don't buy the CYA argument. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom