Owls. Good omen or bad omen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an owl hooting in a tree just outside my house. This has never happened, to my knowledge, since I've lived here. Will I live to finish this 12 pack, am I doomed, or will he just bop the field mice so all the kids can sing?

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on who you ask.
My wife is native American, and her family(maybe the entire tribe, not sure) believe that owls coming around your house that haven't been around before are a sign that someone is going to die. It could be coincidence, and I don't tell her I think that way, but the last time we had 2 'strange' owls fly around our house, we lived in New Mexico, and I had 2 family members die within months of each other. Take it for what you will.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JB had this same thing happen awhile ago. He is still alive.

That's right. I forgot about that. JB, what happened to your owl? Did someone pass shortly after, did some good fortune come your way, or did you fill him with enough scotch to shutdown his liver?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about it if youre not native, american indian, whatever. Or superstitious. There are so many different tribes with about as many different cultures, tribal customs, and their many stories told around the campfire. Some probably say that the owl does this or that, some tribes have it on a pedestal as a symbol of hunting greatness, others see it another way as a symbol of death or death approaching, etc,etc. There seems to be some mysticism about it but I wouldnt think much of it unless youre a member of a tribe that is fearful of them. Our tribe tells stories of men who turn into certain animals at night on the reservation, etc. Stories. I have never personally heard any stories in our tribe about owls showing up when someone had died or was going to die or whatever because our tribe has an owl clan that uses the owl as its clan symbol.

Im 1/4 Osage-Kaw indian and I remember my mom who is half blood collecting owl figurines and stuff of all kinds and shapes when I was a kid growing up, they were all over the house. One in particular was huge with these big crazy looking crystal eyes that sat on a table and at night passing thru the room in the dark the eyes glowed almost if any light hit them and it really messed with you. We belong to a different clan, so I guess she just liked owls for some reason. She doesnt have any today in her home with my stepfather.

My dad had one once in a wooden cage in our garage he had caught while out hunting, I dont know the full story about it because I was a little kid, but it must have been hurt or something when he found it because my dad only killed what we were going to eat and I dont remember eating it, but if you knew my dad we actually might have eaten it if we were hungry enough. Me and my brother would go in there and check it out after school and even showed some friends even though my dad had said he would kick our asses if we went in there without him. I think he eventually took it out to the country and let it go, or it died.

Theyre in the trees around here out in the country all the time and we even had one in a tree near our house a few years ago that seemed to go from one tree to another tree every summer, always staying in that one tree until the next year when it would move to another, and then finally it left I guess because I didnt hear it at all this summer. I think it was feeding on bats that fly all over out here at night. It always seemed more active though at the end of spring all thru the summer always starting its noises about dusk. We regularly go out to the pool in the summer for late night swims and at night was when it would be active. The kids were a little younger when it first came around and I would scare them and tell them it was a tree monster, after that they wouldnt dare go back out there late at night. I just wanted the pool to myself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom