Owls. Good omen or bad omen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter works for the government, she started out in the Americorps program and now shes working full time for FEMA where she is stationed in New Jersey at the moment.

Last summer she was in Florida working with the Park service in the Everglades building tree boxes for these owls.

i8.photobucket.com_albums_a30_nofearfactor_critters_cid_709.jpg

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was very young....3 or 4....there was an Owl that would hoot outside our house and it would scare the socks offa' me.
Now, whenever I would get to bein' rambunctious and wouldn't stay bed, my Grandma would get these big wide eyes and say:
"You better get back in that bed or that big Owl's gonna' get ya'"
:uhh:

LOL...
It would scare the bejeezus outta' me!
I would haul ass back to the bedroom and hide under the covers all night!
That always seemed to do the trick.
:)

It was either that damn Owl or the Attic Monster.

Now, the Attic Monster......that's a whole 'nuther story.......

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the Native people here in SW Oklahoma believe strongly about owls being a sign of death, doom, bad medicine, etc. Even a picture or representation of an owl.

Cedar Creek

When I hear of an owl I think of Hooter's! (even though I've never been there - gotta write that one down on the bucket list...)

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you've ever hung out with Boy Scout leaders who have been through the Woodbadge training program, you'll find plenty of Scouters who proudly call themselves members of the Owl Patrol.

I used to be an Owl, and a good old Owl too...

Oldtimer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last summer my wife was in the back yard at night with the flood lights on. She was throwing a frizbee for the dogs when an owl swooped down and took off with the frizbee while it was in the air. Two of the dogs are small Yorkies so she immediately took them inside. One of them could have been a nice meal for the owl, Lizzie the oldest one would have kicked that owls butt.
Lizzie is like a 6 pound Tasmanian devil, ask the raccoons that come in the yard.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last summer my wife was in the back yard at night with the flood lights on. She was throwing a frizbee for the dogs when an owl swooped down and took off with the frizbee while it was in the air. Two of the dogs are small Yorkies so she immediately took them inside. One of them could have been a nice meal for the owl, Lizzie the oldest one would have kicked that owls butt.
Lizzie is like a 6 pound Tasmanian devil, ask the raccoons that come in the yard.

Yeh...we have a minerature dachsund...plus owls...and bald eagles...and other raptors flying around. I always keep a big boxer in the backyard so a large bird of prey don't try eat my little dog

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of years ago at a family gathering my stepdaughter who lived just east of Ponca told this story.

In the middle of a hot afternoon she looked out the window toward her pool and saw a big owl sitting on the end of her diving board. Ok already kinda strange as I thought they were pretty much nocturnal. Any way while she was watching she said it hopped off into the water and with its wings outspread just floated around on its (belly??). Said she watched it for a couple minutes then went to get a camera, came back and it was gone.
She thought it may have came to check out an inflatable gator she had in the pool, I figure it was just hot.
When she finished I glanced over at my full blood Cherokee mother in law and her eyes were big as half dollars.Lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would say that if you're superstitious enough to believe that an owl means that doom and gloom lay in wait, then you should also be superstitious enough to believe that the power of the almighty 12 pack has a protective force field around it and you, protecting you while you drink!:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom