Owls. Good omen or bad omen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more owl story I remembered.
A buddy in highschool was squirrel hunting, sitting against a tree and started watching two squirrels playing under a tree not far away. Guess he wanted to take in the cuteness before dispatching them.
Anyway, he said a big ole owl flew in and landed in the tree above them which caused the squirrels to first freeze then scamper for cover.
He said the owl sat there solomnly, like owls do , perfectly still, and after a while the rodents who apparently have really bad short term memory made there way back into the open and started playing and chasing each other around.
He said this went on for a few minutes when suddenly the owl, with no grace what so ever, fell forward off his perch and crashed through the limbs and hit one of the cute little squirrels and ripped it apart in one move and flew away with about two feet of strung out squirrel dangling from its talons.
Said it was the most violent thing he'd seen in his young life.
So there was definitly a bad outcome for mister squirrel after the owl showed up.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My younger brother thinks it's funny when we go camping to call them up. One time with alot of liquid encouragment the drunk sob started picking a fight with one in and kept messing with him.

That son of a gun owl was so pissed at us he didn't care one bit about the campfire, he came within 4 inches or so of taking my cousins head off.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you ever find the fecal bolus of various members of the owl family, you can smear it with a heavy application of high molecular weight hydrocarbon material, then use it as a baseline when testing the coefficient of friction of other objects.

You can then have the knowledge that tested object really is slicker than greased owlshit!

Seriously, I think owls are cool. We used to have one around our house several years ago. I reckon we outlived it, or it found someone else to serenade.

tbirch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on who you ask.
My wife is native American, and her family(maybe the entire tribe, not sure) believe that owls coming around your house that haven't been around before are a sign that someone is going to die. It could be coincidence, and I don't tell her I think that way, but the last time we had 2 'strange' owls fly around our house, we lived in New Mexico, and I had 2 family members die within months of each other. Take it for what you will.

That's what my Native Ancestry taught me as well. Overall, I gave it about as much creedence as I did the "little people" that we're included in the same talk.:teach:

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an owl hooting in a tree just outside my house. This has never happened, to my knowledge, since I've lived here. Will I live to finish this 12 pack, am I doomed, or will he just bop the field mice so all the kids can sing?

It's a good omen.

Sooner Wing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an owl hooting in a tree just outside my house. This has never happened, to my knowledge, since I've lived here. Will I live to finish this 12 pack, am I doomed, or will he just bop the field mice so all the kids can sing?

Hooters and beer. Companies have been founded on that simple recipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom