Starting NFA Trust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I sent out a couple emails to some of the attorneys recommended here on the forums. Just wanted to say thanks to those that posted their info and recommendations. My first planned purchase is are suppressors for my FNX-45 Tactical and for my 7.62x51mm bolt gun. I have NO experience with
suppressors of any kind, so now the research starts. Which is part of the fun for me. Any recommendations or experiences you'd like to share would be great. I just want to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

firewire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can pay a lawyer $200-$300 or you can do it yourself. I waffled back and forth between paying a lawyer or doing it myself. In the end I did it myself after much research in trying to find the most complete and accurate DIY kit. The DIY kit I chose is the same one a lawyer in Washington State uses for his own clients ($395 in person). His DIY kit for $30 is available for 41 different states.

http://www.doityourselfdocuments.com/Estateplanning/Trust/nfaTrust.aspx

I can't remember all the key points, but it addressed many that lawyers that have posted all over the net say you should watch out for in a DIY kit. It isn't a Quicken Will Maker document. It is a 23 page document with instructions, "Bill of Sale", Resignation of Trustees, Appointment of Co-Trustees, etc. I downloaded several "free" NFA trusts and there was no comparison after looking that the link above. All in all I was very impressed. I just bought my first NFA item, so I guess I will see in the next few months how it worked and all the extra Schedule A items and references to incapacitation of trustee, etc. makes me feel just fine in the future as well.

Your Mileage May Very! Caveat Emptor!

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for those still leaning towards an attorney, some will profess superior skills and charge you upwards of $600 plus..... it's not rocket science, but you do need to have a 'good' trust as well.

Firewire's done a good deed. +100

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my NFA trust done for $35 by the guy who sold me my suppressor. Went through the NFA process and everything was good to go! I have 2 more NFA items I should be getting final approval on in the next 2-3 weeks using the same trust.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can pay a lawyer $200-$300 or you can do it yourself. I waffled back and forth between paying a lawyer or doing it myself. In the end I did it myself after much research in trying to find the most complete and accurate DIY kit. The DIY kit I chose is the same one a lawyer in Washington State uses for his own clients ($395 in person). His DIY kit for $30 is available for 41 different states.

http://www.doityourselfdocuments.com/Estateplanning/Trust/nfaTrust.aspx

I can't remember all the key points, but it addressed many that lawyers that have posted all over the net say you should watch out for in a DIY kit. It isn't a Quicken Will Maker document. It is a 23 page document with instructions, "Bill of Sale", Resignation of Trustees, Appointment of Co-Trustees, etc. I downloaded several "free" NFA trusts and there was no comparison after looking that the link above. All in all I was very impressed. I just bought my first NFA item, so I guess I will see in the next few months how it worked and all the extra Schedule A items and references to incapacitation of trustee, etc. makes me feel just fine in the future as well.

Your Mileage May Very! Caveat Emptor!

Thanks for this. Just ordered my DIY kit. Now I can sit on it and procrastinate for another year or so on actually pulling the trigger on buying an NFA item.

Latest posts

Top Bottom