Ammunition: Supply and Demand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hoarding... I shoot a lot, and as ammo became sly, my stockpile ran out. Now I'm in hoarder mode, putting back what I've shot, and switching over to .22lr just so I can keep up my seventh day weekly shoot. I've always had a pile of 223, and I've stopped shooting it almost all together, but that 3k rnds of 9mm went quick with a few glocks to feed. As soon as I get my piles back to the norm, I'll start shooting when I can buy until this blows over. Hopefully I'll be able to score a chucker or horn L&L loader by this time next month. It'd be a good bday present for myself

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part of it is like back in the late 80's early 90's when news coverage of winchesters black talons was forcing winchester to stop making them for a while. People came in to my store who didn't even own a gun and bought up all the black talons thinking they were gonna make some money.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest problem is the jack wagons that font have a job that wipe out the stores then sell through other avenues at 2x and 3x the price, they are what is driving this madness!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't need any, but was at the local wallyworld the other day when a truck containing ammo showed up. People were snagging up boxes of bulk .22, that didn't even own a gun, (according to their own story) just to resell it. That sucks.

I've seen video's of starving people getting food for the first time in two weeks that weren't whipped into a frenzy like the people scooping up the ammo. :drooling:

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the sales are now 9 billion per year hopefully when they finally do catch up they will overrun some and that will help bring the prices back down. I am thinking real hard about casting some bullets again. Things are nuts. I am sure that all of the reasons for hoarding are true. The new guns sales are a factor and the various fears are to. The people that are reselling are irritating but there are reasons to do that too.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the things about high demand is that the manufactures will raise prices and as long as demand is high they will stay up. Until there is ammo sitting on shelves and not selling fast the prices will climb. They won't come down until it isn't selling as well. Maybe not then.

Even when we can see what we want on the shelves the price will be higher and that is just how business works. When the competition is with demand and not the other makers they can raise prices at will. If they would take the extra profits and invest in more capacity or better equipment they could compete better when the market settles down.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shortages are frustrating, but the lunacy in Washington has made LOTS of new gun owners, always a good thing. I had been stocking up for over a year. Purchasing way above my normal supply, just because I saw this coming and REUSE to pay outrageous gouging prices. The main problem is people are buying more and paying more than would be normal, which takes away their normal expendable income, therefore reducing money spent throughout an already depressed economy which further depresses local businesses.

packs3

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have seen the people at wal mart taking the ammo and put it back for themselves or to resell . it sure pts a damper on my target practice with a 22 . I have asked the dept manager about this and was told first come first served.

Latest posts

Top Bottom