Ammunition: Supply and Demand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right-On-Target

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With ammunition shortages in gun shops and retail establishments, I began to wonder how the manufacturers were responding to the escalating demand.

From browsing the internet I saw that Winchester’s website states they are operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in an attempt to meet the demand.

According to Al Russo, spokesman for North Carolina-based Remington Arms Company, Remington had to add a fourth shift to begin operating 24-7. Russo stated, “It’s a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business.”

Federal Premium’s website also states they are working “7 days a week” to meet the demand.

NRA spokeswoman Vickie Cieplak said the amount of ammunition purchased by Americans has increased from 7 billion rounds of ammunition a year to 9 billion. (Now folks that a bunch of bullets).

The question in my mind would be if people are firing that ammo to become better marksmen for self-defense purposes, or are they hoarding the ammo in fear of government legislation that would limit ammunition purchases in the future. My guess would be mostly the latter, and that would put more ammo in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Many of those in my shooting and reloading circle seem to think that this will pass and things will get back to normal in the near future. We can only hope.

It the meantime we must write our representatives and vote.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My opinion is there are probably three groups, those who are hoarding to hoard, and their are those who are hoarding to make sure they have enough to shoot this coming year, then those like me who aren't going to go spend thousands of dollars on ammo just because it's there now, but hope some is available when I need to resupply. It's starting to take its toll on me, I buy ammo and reloading components because I like to shoot in local matches, but all this crap is taking the fun out of it and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the frustration.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm there with you street rat. It's becoming a hassle to shop to find good prices while quantities remain in stock. I don't think the shortages are near as bad as they were. SGAmmo has had a lot of ammo this past week, as have other distributors. I've stopped searching the local stores because it seems as those who have no need to work are able to clean them out. I'll pay the shipping on ammo if it saves on sales tax anyway. Reloading supplies I try to buy locally to save on Hazmat fees, but I may just start ordering "big" to combine fees to save on charges.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My opinion is there are probably three groups, those who are hoarding to hoard, and their are those who are hoarding to make sure they have enough to shoot this coming year, then those like me who aren't going to go spend thousands of dollars on ammo just because it's there now, but hope some is available when I need to resupply. It's starting to take its toll on me, I buy ammo and reloading components because I like to shoot in local matches, but all this crap is taking the fun out of it and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the frustration.

I would add a couple more more groups --- those who have just started shooting with a newly purchased firearm, or had a firearm they occasionally (almost never) shot and just bought a box of shells to shoot it, and would buy another box the next time they though about practicing and feel they need to stock up also.

For every new firearm sold to a new purchaser, they will stock up. For used, some are a new caliber for the purchaser and the seller kept his ammo for another firearm he owned, they will stock up also.

Obama is the greatest gun salesman ever.

Last edited:

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a case of Federal .223 right after the election in November and it backordered. The backorder release date keeps getting bumped. The current ETA is now 7/23/13. I feel for the folks that shoot matches that go through lots of ammo. It has to be frustrating to shoot ammo that is a dollar a round. I'm glad I reload pistol and had stocked up on components just before everything got crazy.

johnharms

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there is a lot people out there that is buying to just buy!! They are buying because of fear, fear of not being able too. I have been looking at buying a firearm for the last year or so and finally bought one. I love my new pistol, but the ammo price is killing me. So, I am go to start to reload. Well, the problem is there also. To find anything in a normal price range is dang near impossible. I was at the gun show a few weeks ago, I was walking by a table and the gentlemen was pricing .22 brick of 325 and he put a $70 sticker on it. Highway robbery, and yes I know that is normal for a gun show, but still.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom