Best chicken fried steak ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm addicted to CFS so I don't have a favorite. My selection just depends on mood and location. I need to get back to Kendalls sometime soon. As much as I enjoy Cheever's CFS, I wouldn't consider it to be the classic that Hangfire is wanting.

Itchyfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toby's has a pretty good chicken fried steak & mash.

Took my wife there for our anniversary 3 years ago. She got ill from some kind of parasite that gets into food from feces. She almost died. The CDC came to MY house from Atlanta or somewhere south to interview us 2 days later when she got to come home from the hospital. Best they could tell, she got it from the CFS. Found several other health violations. I'm pretty sure we won't ever be going back there.

My vote is for Kendalls in Noble. Been awhile since I ate there though.....Tuesday I think. My shop is about 1.5 miles from them.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Homeade is the best to me. My gramma cooked for my grampas ranch help and she made the best chicken fried steak I have ever had. When she passed my dad took over and I remember begging him to make them. Now I do em for my family when they beg for it. My wife is picky about her CFSs when eating in restaurants, she can sniff out a joint that uses frozen patties and not hand breading some how.

Found this:
http://www.travelok.com/article_page/pass-the-gravy-chicken-fried-steak-on-route-66

I like Tallys and Nelsons.

A buddy sent me a pic from his cellphone once and he was eating a chicken fried steak at a restaurant somewhere near Henryetta or near there somewhere and this thing was bigger than the plate underneath it. Dont know if it was the best but it dang sure qualified as huge.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kendall's used to be the hands-down winner 'til they got nomadic. I ate there once while they were in the "holy cats, they're opening ANOTHER restaurant here?" building on Berry here in Norman, and it was OK, but it was not the slice of awesomeness it had been. I never tried it while they were in Purcell, and I haven't made it down there since they moved back to Noble, so I can't comment on the current quality.

Jace

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you wanted to go a little north of OKC, the best Ive had is at The Boneyard, in Guthrie, on Tues nights, with the mashed potatoes

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know down in OKC but i hear clanton's in vinita has a great one.

Clanton's was on my bucket list; it dang sure was the finest example of CFS I have ever thrung a lip over. That CFS was a credit to it's namesake; at the top level; a CFS so dang good that all others aspire to reach its level of awesomeness.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love CFS and Clantons in Vinita is the best I've had. Another goody at Clantons is that you can get a appetizer of calf fries to get ya started. :rubhands:

Latest posts

Top Bottom