Calvin Coolidge and the Moral Case for Economy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hillsdale College's most recent issue of Imprimis has an excellent article about Calvin Coolidge that backs up what I've heard or read in the past about tax cuts and their effect on revenue growth. This period is in the '20's and Coolidge's cuts did seem to spur the "boom" known today as "The Roaring Twenties." Now, I guess I just need to look into whether tax cuts in the '40's had the same effect.

Based on what I read in this article, I think the country needs another president like him.

When I was a youngster, I remember reading political cartoons from that era and a lot of those referred to him as "Silent Cal." I sure wish I had hung onto those old books of my mothers. Those spoke a lot of the political history of that time, even though they were "political" cartoons.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Images_20for_20Foafb8283d21c20bc7ed055c3c9813a4a1.jpg

Enjoy the read if you want to read about a President that really wanted smaller government.

Calvin Coolidge and the Moral Case for Economy

For those that might be interested, if you would like to receive the issues of Imprimis when they are issued, you can go to Hillsdale College's website and sign up. The issues are all free.

Hillsdale College's Imprimis sign-up page

The sign-up page also allow one to enter their e-mail address and receive the Imprimis issues in that fashion as well.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's wedged in there between two other Republican presidents (Harding and Hoover) both of whom shared his budgetary ideas.
He left office in January 1929.
There's an elephant in the room.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Calvin Coolidge gave one of my all time favorite quotes:

Persistence

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The '40s arent really a good period to look at, as WWII was the big spur for economic growth. All of FDRs policies didnt really help the economy a whole lot, until he got us in the war.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The '40s arent really a good period to look at, as WWII was the big spur for economic growth. All of FDRs policies didnt really help the economy a whole lot, until he got us in the war.

The reason for the look at the '40's is because I had heard that in addition to JFK's, Reagan's, and Bush 43's tax cuts leading to increased revenue to the federal treasury, the same thing had happened in the '20's and then again somewhere around 1948. I remember the three president's in my lifetime, but I was only 2-years-old in 1948, so I can't say that I remember that one.

The article at Imprimis about Coolidge seems to verify that the tax cuts in the '20's also led to prosperity, and Coolidge's penchant for smaller government helped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom