Loctite on Electrical Connectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So one of the issues with my truck is getting old... every few thousand miles, one of the nuts holding a wire on the starter works its way off.

Is it okay to use Loctite here?

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can you stake the thread or the nut?
Install a lock nut, lock washer or double nut to lock it together.
I wouldn't see anything wrong with locktite but would do the others first.
Aircraft mechanic. Tons of vibration on aircraft.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you use loctite, use the light or medium duty. I believe blue is the strongest you will want. The heavy duty will not come off easily and probably snap the bolt or stud if they are small diameter.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks... the redneck in me didn't think about a lock nut or lock washer...

It's been one of those issues ever since I bought it new off the lot... just really got me when I had to lay down in the last big snow to check which nut it was that time and throw another one on it, so was thinking "permafix".

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you get a second nut of the same size and a lock washer. Put on the first nut like normal, put on the lock washer and put on the second nut and tighten. Locktite probably will not allow electricity to pass properly if you use on the stud/wire connection and get between the surfaces. You could just make the problem worse, if the stud is long enough for a lock washer and second nut to go on the stud, use that method, firm-full contact is the best thing when dealing with that type of connection a lot of current is drawn through that connection any additional resistance will pull it down and mess up something.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't use locktite. Use a star lockwasher or a standard lock washer.
don't use a washer under a lockwasher of any kind. you only lock the lock washer to the washer not secure the connection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom