Feral hogs in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That trap is awesome. But from what I'm hearing, there are a lot of landowners who have pig problems, but won't allow people to hunt. I don't understand this.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That trap is awesome. But from what I'm hearing, there are a lot of landowners who have pig problems, but won't allow people to hunt. I don't understand this.

There are several reasons this happens.
As a landowner, I can give first hand explanation.

Primarily, landowners reserve the ground for hunting by relatives.
Some People that think that big old patch of ground looks deserted, and they don't see any reason why they shouldn't go on the property at will and shoot whatever they want.
I have found remenants of meth labs, fences cut, bags of household trash and appliances thrown into the creek, to be scattered across my land when it floods, gates left open with livestock inside, and vehicle tracks across a newly planted wheat field. My barn has been broken into twice.
I've had people arrested or ticketed for criminal trespass because they shot from the road, and trespassed on my land to recover the illegally shot animal.
Thats just a small list of reasons landowners don't welcome the general public to help with pig eradication.

Also some landowners charge lease fees to anybody wanting to hunt on their land, and at times it can be pretty steep.
I can tell you from first hand experience, these last two years of drought have made scrabbling in the dirt a very non-profitable business to be in, and I don't blame anybody one bit trying to make a few bucks to make that $350,000 tractor payment.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Theres not a feral hog problem. Anyone can hunt hogs on public land, so its not really a problem there.

If hogs are on private land and are causing problems, solve the problem. Build a better fence, use bait and traps, allow hunters to eradicate them. Theres no law saying a farmer has to use a 4 strand barb wire fence.

And the guys tresspassing, poaching and disrespecting landowners, prolly aint the nice guy asking permission. The respectable guy asking to hunt is the guy who can help the "poor" farmer/ranchers with this problem. Plus the respectable permission speaker would prolly swap some labor rebuilding the damage from the hogs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Theres not a feral hog problem. Anyone can hunt hogs on public land, so its not really a problem there.

If hogs are on private land and are causing problems, solve the problem. Build a better fence, use bait and traps, allow hunters to eradicate them. Theres no law saying a farmer has to use a 4 strand barb wire fence.

And the guys tresspassing, poaching and disrespecting landowners, prolly aint the nice guy asking permission. The respectable guy asking to hunt is the guy who can help the "poor" farmer/ranchers with this problem. Plus the respectable permission speaker would prolly swap some labor rebuilding the damage from the hogs.

In reality from a 1st person perspective, most given permission to hunt for a given specie, will assume they have lifetime permission for anything from that point on, and permission to bring a bevy of friends to take advantage of the permission even though it was not given to them. There is always the exception to the rule though. Those folks do get permission year after year.

As the video said: hunting will never eradicate, nor control the hog population. two pigs out of a sounder of 20 does nothing with their prolific breeding cycle.

I really like the drop trap to get the whole sounder.

Some states are considering making hog hunting illegal. Reason is, some want to go commercial, and hold out, letting the herd grow to get a hunting operation going. That defeats the entire purpose of eradication programs.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree. Theres several solutions to the hog population. We eradicated buffalo, wolves, and bears and a few others, we could do the same with hogs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom