Feral hogs in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In reality from a 1st person perspective, most given permission to hunt for a given specie, will assume they have lifetime permission for anything from that point on, and permission to bring a bevy of friends to take advantage of the permission even though it was not given to them. There is always the exception to the rule though. Those folks do get permission year after year.

As the video said: hunting will never eradicate, nor control the hog population. two pigs out of a sounder of 20 does nothing with their prolific breeding cycle.

I really like the drop trap to get the whole sounder.

Some states are considering making hog hunting illegal. Reason is, some want to go commercial, and hold out, letting the herd grow to get a hunting operation going. That defeats the entire purpose of eradication programs.

I hate that landowners get treated like that by "hunters" who have no respect for property.

As for states making hog hunting illegal and some folks letting the herd grow, I have zero sympathy for the wildlife departments woes when it comes to hogs. As I've mentioned on other threads, I contacted the entire wildlife board, and the then-head of ODWC, trying to get a program to pair hunters and landowners up ten years ago. General response was - "we got this, and don't really need you input".

Farmers are now paying the price for ODWC inaction.

Soooey Pig!

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What method was that?

dynomite roosts, mass shooting at night, traps, poisons, every means of shooting with no rules.

We went when i was a kids, i saw crows being hauled off by the truckload and piles upon piles of them.

Also seen stacks of pheasants in Nebraska the same way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate that landowners get treated like that by "hunters" who have no respect for property.

As for states making hog hunting illegal and some folks letting the herd grow, I have zero sympathy for the wildlife departments woes when it comes to hogs. As I've mentioned on other threads, I contacted the entire wildlife board, and the then-head of ODWC, trying to get a program to pair hunters and landowners up ten years ago. General response was - "we got this, and don't really need you input".

Farmers are now paying the price for ODWC inaction.

Soooey Pig!

I think there is currently a program in place that pairs pig hunters/trappers.
Somebody might have more recent knowledge than I have, but I believe you can contact the NRCS office in your county, and register to help eradicate pigs, and they will pair you with a landowner. Any local game warden in your county should know, or a call to the ODW.
I know several on this board have signed up in the past. I can't tell you how many actually got a call though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that sucks reading this stuff...makes me sad to hear that even people you know will trash your place.

I always pick up trash when i go shooting or fishing or hunting,,instilled that into my children.

Every time i went hog hunting i came home empty handed,,love management area is said to have plenty..HA! i have seen 1
and this was during deer gun ..11am walking alone through the woods she was...
Young one like 125lb with guts and all.

Was quite dry and tough...even slow cooked for over 5 hours...must be doing something wrong when i hunt them and cook them.
If and when i get another it will be ground up ..
Had a buddy that was going deer hunting with me for the first time...
He showed me this bottle of whisky rolled up in his sleeping bag...I told him that does not go to my deer camp..
I hunt Indian style i told him...sleep in a tent and no drinking,, we are going for deer meat not a buzzzz..
He was happy with that..
My dad was an alcoholic and deer camp to him and all his cronies was different than what i wanted...
To each his own though...
They ran him and all his cronies out eventually because the land clearing they did to put up the military tents and the mess they left behind....I quit hunting with them when i was 16 or so.
30 years later i hunt the same place and all that you see is 1 small ring of rocks and tire tracks on the small exit road..
And less trash when i leave than when i get there...

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis and Turkeyrun- I'm saddened but not surprised at the actions of people on your land, either invited or not. We basically have had a shift in common decency in the past years. People tend to feel that they are owed whatever they desire. I was taught that if you borrow something you first do it with permission then return it in just as good or better condition than you received it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, that part of 'the good ole days' really is the good ole days.

There are a very few that have permission to dove or quail hunt my place. They ask permission EVERYTIME they go out. Even my dau tells me when she is going and who will be with her.

Saw a neighbor back before Christmas, he was asking is Bill So&So and Tom Whosit had asked to deer hunt on my land. Told him they had but I said no. He says he gave them permission to hunt. A few days later he was looking for his pasture guard donkey. It wasn't unusual to not see him for a day a two, but it had been almost a week. Couldn't find him. He was in town at the coffee shop and the (new guy) game warden was telling about stopping a couple guys who had a donkey in the back of their pick-up. They had tagged it with a TX Mule Deer tag, but they had valid OK license and he laughed and let them go. Game Warden got an ear full from everyone in the place. Bill & Tom will have problems finding a place to hunt, as well as a bill. Hope they enjoyed their sausage!

Latest posts

Top Bottom