Letter I just sent Senator Coburn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dear Sir, I have just finished reading your statement published under the title "Why I'm fighting to protect gun rights" in the Right Now page on your website, and I have some questions and concerns.

I have seen stories that claim the vast majority of the guns used by violent criminals in the commission of a violent crime are either stolen from family and friends, or bought on the black market. I'm curious to know what your research shows.

Specifically, how many of the guns used by "illegal aliens, drug traffickers, child molesters, rapists, felons, members of al Qaeda cells and mentally-deranged persons" in the commission of terrorism, violent crimes, mass murders, etc, were acquired from the 'above ground', 'law abiding' market place? If you don't know the answer to these questions, why do believe your bill will deny them arms? I'm curious either way. Also, how does your bill handle identity theft?

You quite possibly picked the worst example to illustrate your point, in claiming your system would work like the 'no fly' list.
As in the, "a government agent can place you on a list without a hearing, refuse to let you determine if you are on the list until you show up at the airport (or gun show?), and deny you any recourse to remove your name, or even to find out why you are so listed", 'no fly' list? If your proposal eliminates these problems you might want to alert the TSA and DHS to see if your solution will work there also.

Seriously, no tongue in cheek, my biggest concern, how much additional burden on the law abiding is your legislation going to add to the practice of owning and carrying guns?

I understand that citizens can't always have things their way, if only because we have differing views, opinions, appetites and needs. That sometimes compromises must be made. However if I'm required to sell part of my civil liberties and/or inalienable rights to own and carry guns, to keep on good terms with my neighbours and/or fellow citizens, I would like to get my moneys worth. If your legislation greatly hampers the law abiding, without greatly affecting the ease with which "illegal aliens, drug traffickers, child molesters, rapists, felons, members of al Qaeda cells and mentally-deranged persons", acquire firearms, and/or you are unable to answer the questions I've posed, then I respectfully request that you pull your bill from consideration until you have done the necessary research.

Sincerely, Me

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coburn and his legislative people are just illiterate on these issues that it is pathetic . Craig Smith recently in a meeting I attended praised Coburn for his work securing open carry in National Parks. They don't even know that in spite of the open carry, it is illegal to discharge your weapon in a National Park. Yes, you can carry, but if you take that gun out of your holster and fire it you have just violated the law.

Murph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coburn and his legislative people are just illiterate on these issues that it is pathetic . Craig Smith recently in a meeting I attended praised Coburn for his work securing open carry in National Parks. They don't even know that in spite of the open carry, it is illegal to discharge your weapon in a National Park. Yes, you can carry, but if you take that gun out of your holster and fire it you have just violated the law.

I assume you mean it is against the law to fire even in self defense? Can you provide links to document this?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I assume you mean it is against the law to fire even in self defense? Can you provide links to document this?

Not trying to derail the original discussion. But, according to a nice young park ranger I visited with last summer in Yellowstone, this is correct. He was very adamant about it. After he told me that firing a gun in the park is illegal I asked: "So if I fire a weapon in defense of my life I am breaking the law?" He said yes. I told him that if I needed to fire my weapon in defense of my life that'd I take my chances with a Wyoming jury. He gave me a very puzzled look, my wife showed up, and I said have a nice day.

Murph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have yet to receive anything from Senator Coburn. I don't know if this is an error on my part or theirs. Mine because I might have made a mistake sending. Theirs because I'm still going to be here interfacing with their political party long after their gone. Either way it's annoying

@ rawhide No worries, not a lot of discussion to derail=). Might I respectfully point out that just because he has a badge, to assume a park ranger (or any LEO for that matter) knows the actual statute can be a bad bet.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, the no-fly-list. You have old people and babies that can't fly on an airplane but one of the brothers who did the Boston bombing went to Russia and back with no problems.

Too many crooked politicians out there who want to capitalize on fear to push an agenda.

Murph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, the no-fly-list. You have old people and babies that can't fly on an airplane but one of the brothers who did the Boston bombing went to Russia and back with no problem.

I know. TSA is a perfect example of capricious tyrannical behaviour of the small souled when they acquire the least little bit of authority. We need to make sure the state actors know that we are not happy with their behaviour, and sure as hell not going to open up TSA BS into other parts of our society with out a fight. I think the biggest reason TSA is still in business is the number of people who both fly and hate tyranny is to small to muster grass roots support for anti-TSA political activism.

Latest posts

Top Bottom