Square Credit Card Processor prohibiting Guns and Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with PayAnywhere, because of the same issue. No problems there. They welcomed my business and sent everything over immediately. Just fyi

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I guess it's possible you may go awhile before they find out, like telling them you sell "sporting goods", etc. But you will technically be in violation of their member agreement, which then gives them the power to put a "hold" on your funds--- which I"m sure you could eventually get---but nonetheless they could tie up some of your operating capital for awhile............ My luck they would tie up a transaction for an expensive "Nighthawk Custom", or 50 BMG.

If you don't tell them I don't see how they would ever find out what you sold. Basically a person swipes their card on your phone and signs for the agreed amount. You can put whatever you want on the receipt. The only problem I could see is those who have an actual store who use square and want more detailed receipts to e-mail to their customers. That said, I'd probably dump them anyway and let them know why even if I never used it to sell a gun. Since I never use mine anyway they probably wouldn't care.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with PayAnywhere, because of the same issue. No problems there. They welcomed my business and sent everything over immediately. Just fyi

I don't like the scanner. It's bulky and doesn't look like it would play well with phone cases (don't like PayPal's reader either). Otherwise PayAnywhere looks better and costs less per swipe. May have to sign up to see how the process goes.

Boomer7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PayAnywhere also stated their scanner is secure like a regular merchant and the fee is 2.69% compared to square's 2.75%. I am going to give it a shot and see. I really would prefer to give my money to pro-gun people anyways.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did som reading and as stated PayAnywhere is cheaper on percentage, they also have better security and the ability to process payments offline that can be ran later. I think they're worth a shot. I have an Otterbox on my droid so I have the concern about it attaching correctly too. Maybe this is the excuse I need to get a tablet. ;-)

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taking myself for example, a transaction that shows that John Doe spent 100 bucks at P&C Firearms and Accessories will pretty well tell square what items were bought in that transaction.

This sucks, I really like the smart reader.

Put 'paper targets' on the receipt. Get one in your own name and just use product numbers on the receipt. Or (best option) switch to http://www.payanywhere.com/ and save some money in the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom