Is this a double standard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading this story on Yahoo! and it kind of made me think.

http://news.yahoo.com/va-woman-no-regrets-over-role-burial-064738508.html

For those that want the cliffs notes: Woman helped get the dead marathon bomber a place to be buried. She is taking quite a bit of flak from people about helping. Her story is Jesus said love your enemies and she wanted to help.

My thought was when Marines urinated on the dead Taliban everyone was aghast about how disrespectful that was. Keep in mind that before they were killed those same Taliban were engaged in killing Americans. One of the Marines has been pulled out of retirement and put on legal hold so he can face a Court Martial.

Fast forward to the Boston Bombing: Most of the more outspoken people think that the dead bomber does not deserve to be buried and they should just drop him in the ocean. Also if you read some of the comments people want to urinate on his grave.

So OSA let me know what you think. Try not to get the thread locked too soon

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Initial response was to say yes, it's a double standard - but on thinking about it there are a couple of differences. One is that the military is generally expected to adhere to a higher standard of conduct than the average citizen, while the other is that their actions happened on foreign soil. So - not sure it's completely an apples to apples comparison.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Initial response was to say yes, it's a double standard - but on thinking about it there are a couple of differences. One is that the military is generally expected to adhere to a higher standard of conduct than the average citizen, while the other is that their actions happened on foreign soil. So - not sure it's completely an apples to apples comparison.
Thank you, sir.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why didn't just have sent the body over to chechnia to his family deal with his body?

So they can set up a shrine and memorialize him for his crimes and atrocities? No thanks. Same reason they dumped Bin Laden at sea... screw that. You come over here and commit acts of terror against a civilian population including women and children, you forfeit any right to your cropse being treated respecfully, I believe. Soldiers killed in war are a different story, but civilians killing women and children at sporting events rank pretty low on the list of respectable professions.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused.
Marines urinated on the dead Taliban everyone was aghast about how disrespectful that was.
Most of the more outspoken people think that the dead bomber does not deserve to be buried and they should just drop him in the ocean. Also if you read some of the comments people want to urinate on his grave.

Where's the double standard?

Latest posts

Top Bottom