how long does deer meat /deer summer sausage stay good for

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nativehunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was sitting here eating some jalapeno and cheese summer sausage. i thought to my self i wonder how long this will be good for. Can anyone help with this question.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the steaks and burgers are vacuum packed they should be good for several years. I've found some in my freezer that was 2 yrs old, and it was just fine.
Sausage may be another thing. There are other ingredients in sausage that may not preserve as well. I can't say for sure.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had sausage (made by Siegi's) that lasted well over a year. The brats are always better the fresher they are, but the summer sausage seems to be just as good when it's 1 1/2 years old.

I just started vacuum packing this year (for steaks and ground), so I'm anxious to see a difference.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately the processor I use does not vacuum wrap, so it is just a waxy paper that it is wrapped in. It does not seem to last a year. It will start getting a little dried out after 8 months or so. Not that it stops me from eating it, just starts becoming a bit jerky-like.

nativehunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my ground is just in wax paper but we hardly ever buy ground beef. so it will all be gone this summer and i put the sausage in wax paper then zip lock so it should be god for awhile

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you thaw summer sausage and keep in the fridge, quality and life span will depend on if MSG was used in the recipe or not. If it appears suspect, toss it.

Now for you guys and vac packed stories. I had an elk processed in January and paid extra for it to be vac packed. The man that brought my meat out in the metal wire trays set em down and I was moving packages (wearing cotton gloves because it is not my first time to handle large quantity of frozen food) to one ice chest. The guy proceeds to dump a 2nd and 3rd tray all at once into my 2nd ice chest. The meat was frozen hard. I grabbed a few packages and showed the guy, why I wasn't pleased with him doing that. (Small holes from wire tray etc.) I proceeded to request they vac pack all the meat in that 100qt ice chest again.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you thaw summer sausage and keep in the fridge, quality and life span will depend on if MSG was used in the recipe or not. If it appears suspect, toss it.

Now for you guys and vac packed stories. I had an elk processed in January and paid extra for it to be vac packed. The man that brought my meat out in the metal wire trays set em down and I was moving packages (wearing cotton gloves because it is not my first time to handle large quantity of frozen food) to one ice chest. The guy proceeds to dump a 2nd and 3rd tray all at once into my 2nd ice chest. The meat was frozen hard. I grabbed a few packages and showed the guy, why I wasn't pleased with him doing that. (Small holes from wire tray etc.) I proceeded to request they vac pack all the meat in that 100qt ice chest again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would too. My processor vac packs everything, no extra charge.
He said it was amazing how many people came in and insisted on white butcher paper. Mainly elderly folks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom