Stolen Guns - Buyer Beware

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably not an issue on OSA, but with the recent damage and looting that happend in tornado affected areas, I would be slightly weary of FTF firearm transactions. If later on down the road you try to transfer that firearm via FFL it will kick back as stolen (if it was reported) and you just lost the sale/money and probably a good amount time filling out paperwork/ATF etc... FTF transactions of course, there isn't anyway to trace it. Not saying there are a bunch of stolen guns out there on the market, but if a deal seems too good to be true, then it probably is or it's a scam.

Case in point: I had one friend earlier this month who bought a Glock 30 from Armslist from a guy in Yukon and it ended being stolen. He paid $475 for it, so it wasn't a crazy low price, but when he went to transfer it through an FFL, whammy.

Is there a way to check on a guns S/N's before you buy from FTF? Any other methods you old timers use, besides common sense? Might want to stick to established OSA members or people you regulary deal with.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about that too with the recent tornado damage. If you are buying a gun from an individual and you want to check it's current status all you have to do is call the PD, tell them you're wanting to buy this gun and would like to run the serial numbers to make sure it's GTG. They will run it for you while you wait and you go from there.

There's the advantage also that simply telling the seller you will have to run the serial numbers before buying may be enough to flush them out. If you tell them you have to run the numbers and the guy backs out or doesn't show up then you saved yourself a lot of heartache.

Dave C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about that too with the recent tornado damage. If you are buying a gun from an individual and you want to check it's current status all you have to do is call the PD, tell them you're wanting to buy this gun and would like to run the serial numbers to make sure it's GTG. They will run it for you while you wait and you go from there.

There's the advantage also that simply telling the seller you will have to run the serial numbers before buying may be enough to flush them out. If you tell them you have to run the numbers and the guy backs out or doesn't show up then you saved yourself a lot of heartache.

This or there are some websites you can use like (www.hotgunz.com & www.stolenweapon.com)but these are probably not as reliable as calling local pd.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He paid $475 for it, so it wasn't a crazy low price, but when he went to transfer it through an FFL, whammy.

The act of going through an FFL won't flag it as stolen unless it is run through the data base by the license holder or during an ATF audit. FBI NICS isn't checking guns in a transaction.

HumanVr4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Are you sure about that? Only reason I ask is about a year ago I called OKCPD, and they told me they won't run any numbers unless the item is in front of them, in case it is stolen.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off you dont have to FFL a gun in a private transaction, secondly the best way is for the buyer and the seller to meet at the local PD. As said they can run it thru the database and tell you if it is stolen.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? Only reason I ask is about a year ago I called OKCPD, and they told me they won't run any numbers unless the item is in front of them, in case it is stolen.

I had the same response from a Tulsa County Deputy that I know pretty well, He said if he ran it and his superiors heard it they would want to know where the gun is?

Latest posts

Top Bottom