44 mag rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have been wanting to add another lever gun to my collection and have been looking at the 44 mag caliber. While browsing the Internet, I came across the Rossi Circut Judge in 44 mag. It's a wheel gun carbine, holds 6 rounds, and has me intrigued! Anyone have one or been around one? Looking for some pros/cons.

The safe bet is a win 92 in 44 mag but damn, that wheel gun rifle has my attention!

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I reload 45 colt, and was looking at them, can the circuit judge handle 44+p+ loads? I know their 92's can shoot the buffalo bore, but was worried about the pressures

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ack! The thought of foreign made American "old west"era style guns. I've got a Winchester 94 in .44 magnum and it is a sweeet gun, that's my suggestion. I also own a Henry Big Boy in .45LC which is a beautiful gun so I would recommend them for a .44 mag also. Just my opinion, not everyone believes the same thing.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ack! The thought of foreign made American "old west"era style guns. I've got a Winchester 94 in .44 magnum and it is a sweeet gun, that's my suggestion. I also own a Henry Big Boy in .45LC which is a beautiful gun so I would recommend them for a .44 mag also. Just my opinion, not everyone believes the same thing.

Are there any American 92's being made? I believe all the "American" brands that make them are in Japan.
I wouldn't mind owning a Henry "big boy" to go along with my "golden boy."
Can your Henry shoot the 45 +p+ like the ruger only buffalo bore?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Circuit Judge in .45 Colt/.410 and it's both accurate and fun. As far as +P, from the manual:

WARNING for “+P”
Only fire SAAMI rated Plus P (“+P”) ammunition in Rossi Models designated by Rossi for +P use. Firing +P ammunition in other Rossi products may be dangerous and can result in serious bodily injury or death. Approved Rossi models include, and are limited to, any firearm chambered in 38 Special.

Most around the net say don't do it; a few seem to think it's okay but I haven't seen any pressure test data.

They also make them in .22LR/.22WMR and .28ga.

Last edited:

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any American 92's being made? I believe all the "American" brands that make them are in Japan.
I wouldn't mind owning a Henry "big boy" to go along with my "golden boy."
Can your Henry shoot the 45 +p+ like the ruger only buffalo bore?

Unfortunately, and sickeningly, I think the new Winnies are made in Japan which is why I'll never buy new. Mine was inherited and made in the early 70's. Not as cool as the pre '64 obviously but since there were no pre '64 .44mags, second best IMO. If you keep an eye out you should be able to find an American 94 and it's absolutely worth the extra effort since you get an American rifle and one that will hold it's value much better.

I was told by several people, on and off the internet, that the Henry brass receiver wasn't strong enough for "Ruger Only" .45LC loads so I emailed Henry Rifles themselves and asked. They said their Big Boy rifles were designed to handle any factory loads including those like Buffalo Bore so everyone is wrong...go figure. I recently bought a Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45acp convertible so I had the ability to carry hot .45 Colt ammo in a six shooter along with my Henry rifle (I have this dream of someday living out in the country again where I can strap my six gun on, put my Henry in the saddle scabbard and go ride the ranch hunting for trespassers and cattle rustlers...I'm a bit of a romantic *sigh*). Anywho...I love my New Vaquero Bisley but out in the woods I prefer to have a little more power so until I find an "old" Vaquero in .45LC, my Blackhawk gets the job.

I know there are some who like Taurus but I don't. I wouldn't own one if it were free but that's just me. I do agree the revolving carbine is kind of neat but until Ruger or S&W or similar make one I'll just stick to my beloved lever guns.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Awesome now I can get the big boy, and tinker with my Rossi, thinking it needs an aperture sight. It's going to Steve's guns for a full tune up from the master.

Latest posts

Top Bottom