80% Polymer Lowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would question the legality of completing such a receiver; it seems to go against the Gun control act of 1968. In its 80%, state it is not considered a firearm; therefore, no FFL or serial number would be required. However, upon completing the receiver, you have actively made a functioning firearm, and the law is very clear on firearms made after 1968.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 was a way of tracing all firearms through serial numbers and acquisition and disposition logs maintained by FFL dealers. A tool used by law enforcement to track down weapons used in crimes.

I had asked a few state police friends and they all agreed if they catch you with a completed firearms with no serial numbers, you do not pass go, you do not collect $200.00, you go straight to jail. You do get an added benefit of facing a judge and explaining why you are in possession of a weapon produced after 1968 without any required serial numbers. Not to mention producing a firearm without the required manufacture license.

I agree with car's statement this would be an appealing avenue for someone who could not other wise legally own a firearm. On the other hand, someone could attempt to make a machine gun, however I would question the durability of the material in a sustained full auto operation. In full auto fire, the additional heat generated could be an issue on plastic with a third of the melting point of a traditional aluminum frame.

I am not an attorney; I base my statement on my years of gunsmithing, collecting, and knowledge of firearms.

This is just my .02 cents worth on the question.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The laws says that if you are not a prohibited person and are building it for your own use, you can do it. The only exception is title II weapons (machine guns, which aren't legal at all, or SBRs which require a Form 1 and a tax stamp)

Serial numbers and markings aren't required if you are making it for yourself, but are usually a good idea in case it gets stolen.

Building one for another person or for sale, however, is a big no-no without a manufacturing FFL.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yup. the legalities of this venture have been explored to ad nauseam.

This is why you buy the lower and YOU "run" the machine to finish it. the ATF has supplied a number of letters of clarification to those selling the 80% or 0% lowers stating that what they are doing is perfectly legal.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I had asked a few state police friends and they all agreed if they catch you with a completed firearms with no serial numbers, you do not pass go, you do not collect $200.00, you go straight to jail. You do get an added benefit of facing a judge and explaining why you are in possession of a weapon produced after 1968 without any required serial numbers. Not to mention producing a firearm without the required manufacture license.

I agree with car's statement this would be an appealing avenue for someone who could not other wise legally own a firearm. On the other hand, someone could attempt to make a machine gun, however I would question the durability of the material in a sustained full auto operation. In full auto fire, the additional heat generated could be an issue on plastic with a third of the melting point of a traditional aluminum frame.

First: You can legally make a gun as long as it is not fully automatic or a SBR. You can even add a crude looking serial number to your receiver after you have completed it if you choose to do so. I think if there was a S/N on a firearm and it was ground off, yes, you would go to jail. But you don't have to put a S/N on a gun you made.

Second: A criminal can take a gun that wasn't previously an 80%er and make a machine gun too; and probably wouldn't worry about his polymer lower melting.

Also, I don't think it is legal to sell a firearm you built either. Unless you are a manufacturer, then you can. That would then make it to where you have to put a S/N on it though.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I don't think it is legal to sell a firearm you built either. Unless you are a manufacturer, then you can. That would then make it to where you have to put a S/N on it though.

It really depends on when you sell it. Months or years later and it shouldn't be an issue. Days or weeks and you're likely to be found guilty of manufacturing without a license.

Latest posts

Top Bottom