Sooner State Pawn Oklahoma Second Amendment Association 2A Shooting Center Harsh Firearms Fat Boy Tactical
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
  1. #16
    Patron aviator41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Edmond/Guthrie
    Posts
    4,742
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    Finishing an 80% or a 0% doesn't make it legal for a felon to own (but you guys Already know that)

    They are very appealing to those that like the DIY aspect. I'm very proud of my machined lowers!

  2. #17

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    From what I heard, it's $75 each if you buy 5. I haven't actually spoken to them myself to confirm.

  3. #18
    Patron
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Enid
    Posts
    1,643
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    I have one headed my way, its a pretty cool concept and I have been hearing that they are very sturdy lowers.

  4. #19
    Patron Sanford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    40 Miles South of Nowhere, OK
    Posts
    2,360

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    Quote Originally Posted by TCummings View Post
    I have one headed my way, its a pretty cool concept and I have been hearing that they are very sturdy lowers.
    Nice! I keep waffling back and forth on whether to order one or not. Keep us updated if you don't mind.

  5. #20

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    Agreed... I'd like to know how it fares...
    College Student, Veteran, but most importantly a Father.

  6. #21

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    That is really cool. Anybody make an aluminum one with easy markings?

  7. #22

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    http://www.thegunvault.co/index.php?...&product_id=59

    This website has 80% polymer lowers and the jig and drill bits for $85

  8. #23
    Patron Sanford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    40 Miles South of Nowhere, OK
    Posts
    2,360

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    Quote Originally Posted by kwood101 View Post
    http://www.thegunvault.co/index.php?...&product_id=59

    This website has 80% polymer lowers and the jig and drill bits for $85
    "Presale pricing will ship early september."

  9. #24

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    I would question the legality of completing such a receiver; it seems to go against the Gun control act of 1968. In its 80%, state it is not considered a firearm; therefore, no FFL or serial number would be required. However, upon completing the receiver, you have actively made a functioning firearm, and the law is very clear on firearms made after 1968.

    The Gun Control Act of 1968 was a way of tracing all firearms through serial numbers and acquisition and disposition logs maintained by FFL dealers. A tool used by law enforcement to track down weapons used in crimes.

    I had asked a few state police friends and they all agreed if they catch you with a completed firearms with no serial numbers, you do not pass go, you do not collect $200.00, you go straight to jail. You do get an added benefit of facing a judge and explaining why you are in possession of a weapon produced after 1968 without any required serial numbers. Not to mention producing a firearm without the required manufacture license.

    I agree with car's statement this would be an appealing avenue for someone who could not other wise legally own a firearm. On the other hand, someone could attempt to make a machine gun, however I would question the durability of the material in a sustained full auto operation. In full auto fire, the additional heat generated could be an issue on plastic with a third of the melting point of a traditional aluminum frame.

    I am not an attorney; I base my statement on my years of gunsmithing, collecting, and knowledge of firearms.

    This is just my .02 cents worth on the question.

  10. #25

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    The laws says that if you are not a prohibited person and are building it for your own use, you can do it. The only exception is title II weapons (machine guns, which aren't legal at all, or SBRs which require a Form 1 and a tax stamp)

    Serial numbers and markings aren't required if you are making it for yourself, but are usually a good idea in case it gets stolen.

    Building one for another person or for sale, however, is a big no-no without a manufacturing FFL.

  11. #26
    Patron aviator41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Edmond/Guthrie
    Posts
    4,742
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    Yup. the legalities of this venture have been explored to ad nauseam.

    This is why you buy the lower and YOU "run" the machine to finish it. the ATF has supplied a number of letters of clarification to those selling the 80% or 0% lowers stating that what they are doing is perfectly legal.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

    My Feedback

  12. #27

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhargrin View Post
    I had asked a few state police friends and they all agreed if they catch you with a completed firearms with no serial numbers, you do not pass go, you do not collect $200.00, you go straight to jail. You do get an added benefit of facing a judge and explaining why you are in possession of a weapon produced after 1968 without any required serial numbers. Not to mention producing a firearm without the required manufacture license.

    I agree with car's statement this would be an appealing avenue for someone who could not other wise legally own a firearm. On the other hand, someone could attempt to make a machine gun, however I would question the durability of the material in a sustained full auto operation. In full auto fire, the additional heat generated could be an issue on plastic with a third of the melting point of a traditional aluminum frame.

    First: You can legally make a gun as long as it is not fully automatic or a SBR. You can even add a crude looking serial number to your receiver after you have completed it if you choose to do so. I think if there was a S/N on a firearm and it was ground off, yes, you would go to jail. But you don't have to put a S/N on a gun you made.

    Second: A criminal can take a gun that wasn't previously an 80%er and make a machine gun too; and probably wouldn't worry about his polymer lower melting.

    Also, I don't think it is legal to sell a firearm you built either. Unless you are a manufacturer, then you can. That would then make it to where you have to put a S/N on it though.

  13. #28

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    Sorry! Was writing mine without knowing 2 others chimed in.

  14. #29

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    Quote Originally Posted by PanhandleGlocker View Post

    Also, I don't think it is legal to sell a firearm you built either. Unless you are a manufacturer, then you can. That would then make it to where you have to put a S/N on it though.
    It really depends on when you sell it. Months or years later and it shouldn't be an issue. Days or weeks and you're likely to be found guilty of manufacturing without a license.

  15. #30
    Patron
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Enid
    Posts
    1,643
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 80% Polymer Lowers

    I completed one of the EP Lowers, it was pretty easy to do.

    http://spartantc.blogspot.com/2013/0...mer-lower.html


Similar Threads

  1. [Sale/Trade] Stripped Polymer Lower
    By Rick417 in forum [Classifieds] Firearms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM
  2. [Sale/Trade] Plum Crazy AR15 complete polymer lower
    By stevencmt in forum [Classifieds] Firearms
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
  3. [Sale/Trade] Ati polymer lower reciever
    By B96brig4CC in forum [Classifieds] Firearms
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
  4. New Frontier LW-15 Polymer Lower
    By TCummings in forum Rifles
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 08:53 AM
  5. [WTB] Looking for Polymer lower
    By okprepper in forum [Classifieds] Wanting to Buy (WTB)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •