30-30 ackley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've chambered many rifle barrels, doing an Ackley conversion should be very easy. use cutting oil liberally when doing any cutting with a chamber reamer. I just finished cutting the chamber for a 300 AAC in a blank that I turned and threaded for a Savage action. Took me about 45 minutes to cut the chamber starting from a bore size hole at the breech end of the barrel. You will have to put up a deposit on the reamer when you rent it, and if you return it with no more than normal wear on it you get you get your refund back. I don't currently own a 30-30 Ackley reamer, but I have about 12 other caliber reamers and headspace gauges. You need to use a headspace gauge as you cut to make sure you don't cut too deeply. If you do, the barrel breech needs to be faced off one complete thread and then cut the chamber to match, again using the headspace go no-go gauges. Good luck, its an easy and satisfying task.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just finished the chamber reaming last week and fire formed some cases....soon as I get a chance I'll post the results...

it was pretty easy for the 30-30 since it headspaces on the rim...the reamer has a stop at the right place....all done by hand and the rifle back together in about 45 min

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yep...my rifle is a marlin....think I'm going to get about 2500+fps with the 150gr and over 2300 with the 170's....have some nosler partition 170gr RN ... that combo should take care of biddness....will post the velocities when I can...probably in Jan...

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
finally got a chronograph went down to Lexington and started setting it up - left the battery at home -

but l can tell you that 170gr NP gets 1.5 inch groups with 38.5gr of LVR, WW LRP, WWcases and at 39.5gr the primers start to flatten...so 38.5 it is..tried 3 loads with BLC2 and the LVR was the winner.....going back next week with batteries.....

off topic for a question....does the barrel nut wrench for a savage fit the nut on a marlin ml7 ???

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have reloaded for over a dozen different rifles and hunting handguns chambered in 30-30 Ackley Improved, and 2 of the best powders I have found, for both accuracy and velocity was H-4895 and Winchester 748...

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have reloaded for over a dozen different rifles and hunting handguns chambered in 30-30 Ackley Improved, and 2 of the best powders I have found, for both accuracy and velocity was H-4895 and Winchester 748...
thanks for the info....l don't have either right now but will pick some up next trip to the powder store...

Latest posts

Top Bottom