Converting .223 brass to 300 BLK brass???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPCAS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also the mini chop saw isn't exactly a perfect square cut with perfect edges. It's close if done right but trimmer just cleans up the finish and final length for you

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is really helpful guys. I appreciate it. Now what's the difference in a full length sizing die and a neck sizing die? Why does the mini chop saw not cut it short enough? Why the need for the trimmer? Is all this stuff labeled 300 blackout? Like the dies and trimmer? Sorry for all the questions guys, I wasn't lying when I said I knew nothing about this stuff.

The mini chop saw won't get it exact enough. You cut it close with the saw and get it precise with the trimmer. You want to size before trimming so the sizing won't change the length of the case.

A full length size die sizes the full length of the case. A neck size die only sizes the neck. If you shoot a semi auto you should full length size for better feeding.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked ch4d.com and they now have a long and short trimmer/sizer die for the Dillon rapid trim. The long die would work with the long shaft trimmer and not need a milled tool head on a Dillon press. The short die with an shell holder extension will work in a single stage press.

I want the short one and the extension.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I chop with the mini table saw from harbor.. then I take the chamfer/deburrring tool to em before I resize just so its easier on my dies.. resize ..

then I take the wilson LE trimmer to them.

Pretty easy set up IMO , there are many ways to go about it.. I think ive got a couple thousand rounds converted on this set up. I love the wilson trimmer too, keeps them all uniform in spec.

theswan_33

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. Just to make sure I have this straight. Chop it, resize then trim.The only things I need are harbor freight chop saw, full length sizer die, seating die and a trimmer? Does it not need to be resized after the trim? Just wondering also, anybody found a good weight bullet for accurate groups? Thanks in advance.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. Just to make sure I have this straight. Chop it, resize then trim.The only things I need are harbor freight chop saw, full length sizer die, seating die and a trimmer? Does it not need to be resized after the trim? Just wondering also, anybody found a good weight bullet for accurate groups? Thanks in advance.

It seems that the RCBS small base dies work better in my AR than other brands. So I case with. A lee die, but when I am ready to load I use the small base die from RCBS.

I do this for all my AR platform calibers.

T-DUB

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i use a chop saw and cut the 223 just below the neck i made a jig to cut it to 1.370 so when i size it in the 300 die i really dont need to trim it ends up at 1.365 i chamfer and deburr and its ready to go

Latest posts

Top Bottom