Bear hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have secured a place in se ok to bear hunt. The property does have bears on it. I have the first week of archery season off. Was hoping to gain some knowledge from any of you who have hunted bears. My bow is plenty capable but what about Rage broad heads ( my current head)? What kind of bait, barrel...anything and everything. This is a new one for me and I want to give it my best shot....pun intended.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I hear the black bear love doughnuts, maple syrup, molasses, bacon grease. If it smells strong and makes you fat, they like it. If you can get on the good side of the Krispy Kreme delivery driver for a local convenience store that sells the KK doughnuts, every morning when he brings a new shipment the old ones get bagged and trashed. Save bacon grease to rub on a tree as high as you can reach. The scent will carry further with the elevation. Plus they will have to stand up to lick it off. The longer it takes em to consume all the bait, the longer they will hang around. A barrel with bolt on clamp will secure your lid. You can cut holes in this barrel varied sizes depending on your bait choice, but you want them to roll it around and around so bits and pieces fall out. Weld a chain on lid end to tie off with a 10' heavy cable to a tree or post. Otherwise you might be hunting your barrel. Be sure when hunting to not have bait scent on you, black bear are known to climb trees to sniff the hunter.

There are several varities of Rage broadheads today. The smaller ones appear to be tougher. Either style will likely be one time use. I would call some of the archery pro shops and ask if any staff have bear experience and what broadhead they recommend. I have seen what deer ribs do to Rage and although they still blew through with a massive hole, I was concerned about the damage to the blades.

Congratulations on the opportunity and good luck!!

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have no experience bear hunting. I am getting experience dealing with some. I have some land in Peggs and recently the trail cameras are picking up a black bear. Have yet to get a decent pic of one yet. But they do love molasses or at least the couple I have.

I had a homemade 30gal barrel hanging that dripped molasses. It was tied up into the tree by a rope. Needless to say the barrel came down and was rolled around and such.

And good luck with the bear. we want pics if you tag one.

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Congrats and please let us know how the hunt turns out. Now to open the can up....Broad heads are such a personal choice to a bow hunter and everyone has there expert opinion. Here is my take on rage. I lost two deer with them, others have had similar experience. I'm no pro hunter and human error could be the big factor, but a loss deer meat is a hard thing. After two I'm done with them. Now there are tons of people and the pro-hunters who swear by them.

I have switched to fixed because they keep cutting if they don't come out, mechanical....Who knows what is going on. Also O-ring design is a big con and another chance for uncle Murphy to happen. Mechanical I like the grim reapers 100% success ratio thus far, good blood trails and short run off. I keep them in the tool box for certain weather conditions. My go to is the Magnus buz cuts. Both broad heads have brought a clean quick kill and the fixed is the choice of the guys I hunt with. Good results thus far. This is just one opinion on broad heads. I cant speak on what it would do to bears. It works for us, plus its nice to be able to reuse a broad head in the field. Just my two cents on this and maybe some one here can give you better info and there results with the rage. Good luck and hope you get a nice big bear..

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh yeah the can probably will be opened now lol.

I feel the same way firewalker. I have used mechanical broadheads in the past. I don't know what happened but when I got the arrow after pass through. only one of the blades opened up on the broadhead. Since then I use only fixed blades.
I have really grown to like Steel Force 100gr. 4 blade. going to be buying some new broadheads this fall. I am considering Magnus Buzzcuts 4 blade 100gr. both I do believe are made in USA which are by far one of my leading decisions on buying or not.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was reading today on a site where a bear guide bought 2300lbs of cookie dough, in anticipation for today which is the first day he start baiting. YUM!

Latest posts

Top Bottom