I need computer help - Windows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, a few weeks ago my hard drive crashed.

I had a fairly recent backup using a product called Rebit Save-Me, and got it back up and running.

However, since then I get messages that I'm not using genuine windows, and I can't resolve it.

I've called both Microsoft and Dell and both want to charge me money to fix it. F'in Microsoft told me that Windows was out of warranty and acted like I did something wrong by installing a new hard drive.

I'm going to lose Windows soon because it thinks its "not genuine."

Anyone have any ideas? Reinstall windows? I'm getting seriously frustrated here.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a few things to try:

go to start and in the search box type "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll" and press enter. a dialog box should pop up telling you this was successful. reboot.

go to start and in the search box type "cmd" under 'Programs (1)' there should be a cmd app, right click on it and select run-as administrator. enter "slmgr.vbs -rearm" at the command prompt and reboot computer.

if those do not work, go to start > control panel > programs > uninstall a program > on the left click 'view installed updates' > find update "KB971033" > uninstall it > reboot computer.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than likely the problem is due to product activation.

Click Start, right click My Computer and select Properties. Down at the bottom of the screen should be the section for Windows Activation. There may be a link here to activate Windows, you may need the number from the sticker that came with your computer/Windows software. You may also have an icon in your system tray that will allow you to reactivate.

Once windows has been activated, it doesn't like to be laid down with new hardware or a new hard drive.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a few things to try:

go to start and in the search box type "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll" and press enter. a dialog box should pop up telling you this was successful. reboot.

go to start and in the search box type "cmd" under 'Programs (1)' there should be a cmd app, right click on it and select run-as administrator. enter "slmgr.vbs -rearm" at the command prompt and reboot computer.

if those do not work, go to start > control panel > programs > uninstall a program > on the left click 'view installed updates' > find update "KB971033" > uninstall it > reboot computer.

I will give that try. Thank you.

More than likely the problem is due to product activation.

Click Start, right click My Computer and select Properties. Down at the bottom of the screen should be the section for Windows Activation. There may be a link here to activate Windows, you may need the number from the sticker that came with your computer/Windows software. You may also have an icon in your system tray that will allow you to reactivate.

Once windows has been activated, it doesn't like to be laid down with new hardware or a new hard drive.

That's the thing - it says it is activated. there's no option to activate it.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
from a command prompt, run -> "SLUI 3" without quotes. You will need your key.

Report what you see.

I did that, and a window popped up asking for my key. I typed it in, it thought about it a minute, then said activation was successful.

I'll wait a bit to see if the "Genuine Windows" message pops up again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom