Single-shots with Interchangeable Barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would indeed have something. I have looking at pics of Stevens Ideal #44s and Savage 219/220s--pretty fine looking guns. I'd get rather excited if I ran into one of those for sale (presumably to be deflated after seeing that, yes, it has a collector price tag). I also stumbled upon Ed Yost sing shot (falling block) rifles. That Schuetzen stock might not be my cup of tea, but, my goodness, the action aesthetics are incredible. Made in the 80s but look more Art Deco. Too bad there were only 50 made.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thompson Center is certainly the most widely advertised breakover on that list, but I didn't notice an accuracy difference between my TC and the cousins CVA. The TC trigger was better, but the CVA was also nothing to snort at. Both are smooth, CVA a little stiffer, both clean break. Both seemed to shoot equal. With the exception of the turrible trigger, the CVA Optima was another good option on a budget.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thompson/Center Encore/Contender
  • Pros: Pretty much everything but the price.
  • Cons: The price.
  • Cost: Encore Pro Hunter Blue/FlexTC frame ($563) + .308 barrel ($357) + 12ga barrel ($464) + .22lr barrel ($361) = $1745 msrp

Do they really cost that much?

My experience:

1. Stainless steel Pro Hunter frame (new) in the $325 range.

2. Composite stock (I don't have a Flex Tech stock) in the $115 range new. Actually, I wouldn't even want a Flex Tech stock since they way they've attached the forward sling swivel stud would make bipod mounting problematic.

3. 12 gauge barrel used about $155.

4. 308 Wincheser barrel a little over $200 new but that was before prices were increased incredibly. The most I've ever paid for a used Encore barrel was $210 and I've bought many for much less; even for new ones.

5. 22 LR barrel; I've never had one in the rifle version.

sethk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, they don't cost that much on the market. I was using the MSRPs for all of my price comparisons so that everything would be on a level playing field. On a side note, I found out my dad still has the Encore pistol (w/ 2 or 3 barrels) that I thought he had gotten rid of. So, I can look forward to shooting that (and maybe borrowing it) next time I get out toward Guthrie.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may have already got what you want by now, but the couple of H&R's we've had the last few years were all shooters. My wife killed her first deer with one in 22-250, and I swear that gun would shoot almost as good as my Rem 700 22-250. I recommend them to anyone in the market for a single shot.

sethk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update:
Well, I found a good deal on a Handi-Rifle in 30-06 locally. I've been busy helping my folks get ready for a move on the weekends, so I haven't had a chance to test it out. I was able to find somebody on GBO to swaps stocks with me (now I have the Handi-Grip stock set I wanted). I've been spending a lot of time on the Graybeard forums and have been learning a lot (those guys are really into H&R/NEF guns). I've also modified the next steps in my plan a little bit:

1. "Serious" Rifle: Check! 30-06 with scope (it came with a Japanese Tasco scope that actually seems pretty decent so I'll probably give it a try before I steel my dad's spare Leupold). I also happen to have access to my dad's/uncle's joint reloading set-up which has 30-06 capabilities, so I'll be playing around with reloading for the first time.
  2. Shotgun: I can get a 3" 12ga barrel with modified choke fit at the H&R factory for around $100. I might end up doing that in the end, but I'd really like to have screw-in choke options which would bump the factory-fit cost up to closer to $150. With a little patience, I may be able to get a whole used Topper shotgun for that price, so I'm going to wait and keep my eye out at pawn shops, auctions, and the like.
  3. Plinker: Turns out, at one point they made an offset .22lr barrel that fits the standard Handi-Rifle reciever. It came as a .22/410 combo called the Versa-Pack, which has been discontinued for a while and has become rather rare. If I can find one of these at a decent price, I'll snag it in a heart-beat. My other plinking alternative is to get a 357 barrel. These are pretty easy to hand ream to shoot .357 Max in addition to 357 Mag. and .38 Special. This could qualify as ammo-efficient enough (especially with some custom hand-loads) to work great as a plinking. As with the shotgun, I'm probably going to take my time and see if anything interesting pops up on the used market before I spring for a factory job. There are some Handi 357 barrels (including the Talo edition) that already have shortened barrels and open sight, which is ideal for my purposes. If I can't find a good deal on one of those after a few months, I can get a factory fit barrel for another $150 and fit it with a red dot sight (the factory 357 barrels only come with weaver mounts).

So, I'm well on my way to my minimalist/utilitarian barrel-swapping set-up. Wish me luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom