Do you think young deer with funky racks need to be taken to preserve the gene pool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they aren't mature, I let em go.

Seeing how you cant manage genetics on free range deer (especially buy killing bucks) and its impossible to tell the potential of a buck before he is mature....
I say NO! There is no reason to kill a young bucks for management purposes.

+1... There's so many environmental factors that can affect a year or two of growth. Until they can fill a freezer, I won't waste the tag.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Unless your buck to doe ratio is out of whack those 1 1/2 year old bucks will get to do very little of the breeding.and like several have all ready said you can'nt tell what that 1 1/2 year old buck will be when he gets 5 1/2 so I say a very big no

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of the decision would be based on how many acres you have to hunt and the deer density. For examply, I have 40 acres hunt where we see deer about twice a week with the game camera, there's no chance of "managing" a deer herd there. I'd just let the small ones walk.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, You should NEVER shoot a 1.5yr old deer, IF your goal is quality bucks. The only body promoting that is Texas and their "spike" law, and even that is not 100% proven. Nobody knows what a yearling buck will turn into.

I do practice taking out "inferior" bucks. If I see a 2.5yr+ old spike he is getting shot, they should have some branched antlers by then. 3.5+ deer better have at least 8 points with some mass starting to build. 4.5+ deer I will almost shoot anything that old, unless I think they have real potential, but honestly if I can get them to 4.5+ plus years and they are in that 130-150" class range I am very happy shooting Oklahoma bucks that size. If I age a deer at 4.5+ thats low 120's to 110's, I'm probably gonna shoot them. IMO, they should be bigger than that at 4.5+ yrs.

Not saying my way is correct. Everybody has a different set of standards, this is mine. Here in Nebraska I will let 3.5-4.5yr old 130-140" deer walk, I will not do that in Oklahoma. So depends on where I am hunting and my expectations for the bucks.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, You should NEVER shoot a 1.5yr old deer, IF your goal is quality bucks. The only body promoting that is Texas and their "spike" law, and even that is not 100% proven. Nobody knows what a yearling buck will turn into.

I do practice taking out "inferior" bucks. If I see a 2.5yr+ old spike he is getting shot, they should have some branched antlers by then. 3.5+ deer better have at least 8 points with some mass starting to build. 4.5+ deer I will almost shoot anything that old, unless I think they have real potential, but honestly if I can get them to 4.5+ plus years and they are in that 130-150" class range I am very happy shooting Oklahoma bucks that size. If I age a deer at 4.5+ thats low 120's to 110's, I'm probably gonna shoot them. IMO, they should be bigger than that at 4.5+ yrs.

Not saying my way is correct. Everybody has a different set of standards, this is mine. Here in Nebraska I will let 3.5-4.5yr old 130-140" deer walk, I will not do that in Oklahoma. So depends on where I am hunting and my expectations for the bucks.

I have a document from a research study on penned deer from the Texas Parks and Wildlife department that kinda backs that up. Keeping in mind that there are always outliers, the 168-page report basically says if they are not at least forked horned their first year they will never grow into a quality deer. And every 1.5-yr knob head or spike should be removed from the pool.

I have the report in PDF, if you would like a copy PM me. It is an interesting read with neat pictures of antler growth based on varying diets and fist year antler growth.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
APeterson brings up a good point. is the bad gene passed from a doe? anyone know the answer to that question? we have a number of bucks with a funky left side ranging from a stick to a fork while the right may be symetrical. i've taken a few over the years but have since left them to the younger hunters.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
APeterson brings up a good point. is the bad gene passed from a doe? anyone know the answer to that question? we have a number of bucks with a funky left side ranging from a stick to a fork while the right may be symetrical. i've taken a few over the years but have since left them to the younger hunters.

Yes a doe is as much to blame as a buck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom