AR-10 Optics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm currently using a Mark AR 3-9x40 on my .308, but am looking to upgrade, and transfer the Leupold to my AR-15 instead.

Just shooting paper atm, but hope to take it on a hog hunt soon.

I like the BDC reticle, so am leaning towards the Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC 800.

Other options I have looked at are the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, or Leupold Mark AR 4-12x40.

Opinions, experiences?
Thanks

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Burris TAC30 1-4x24 on my .308 AR, and like it a lot. It has great clear optics and a nice BDC reticle, which is dead on for 147 grain ball out to 400 yards with my rifle. The true 1x is great for speed up close, like you might need if you're out stalking through the brush for hogs. It has great illumination in the reticle, too. You can get them for $270 or so on e-bay. This same scope has been on a 20" 5.56 AR as well as an M1A. It has been through several cross country run 'n gun competitions, and has been great for making shots anywhere from up close out to 400 yards. I shot the Springfield with it out to 600 yards once on the range, and the BDC was still right on. It made it pretty easy to smack that steel torso.

Here is my rifle. Hopefully I will get to do some hog hunting this year, and this is exactly what I will take.

i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_image_zps829ed5c6.jpg

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend looking into a vortex viper, hs, or viper pst unit.

Second would be the new bushy tacticals or a super sniper from swfa

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting, I hadn't considered that I might want 1x for close encounters.

I felt like I was limited by the 3-9x when shooting out to 600 yards. That's why I was looking at the higher power scopes. And I was also wanting a scope for the AR-15, so I figured upgrading the optic on the .308 was the best option.

Lots to learn, still new to all this.
Thanks for the info!

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henchman, that is one f-ing sweet rifle! A question though. My 16 inch AR has the standard front sight , but I run a Vortex sparc ( which I love!) and it co witnesses with the sites. With you 1x scope does the front gift interfere at all? Is it in your sight plain when aiming down the scope?

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're leaning towards 1x - but yet want flexibility and don't mind the added weight. look strongly into the 1-6x and 1-8x scopes from Bushy or SWFA. USO etc. 1-4x is good, but will become the 'old' sooner than later as everyone goes after 6x to 8x to 10x with 1x at the bottom for CQB.

Forgot to mention the Trijicon Accupoints - TR24G with the green triangle / post and 30mm tube. no batteries, lit 24/7 and wide open viewing, no clutter. still 1-4x, but makes up for it in the other areas.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Nightforce, and they're worth every penny, but the Monarch Nikon series is hard to beat. Great glass, great price! Don't second guess yourself, you sound like you know exactly what you need, and you sound like you're looking in the right place.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henchman, that is one f-ing sweet rifle! A question though. My 16 inch AR has the standard front sight , but I run a Vortex sparc ( which I love!) and it co witnesses with the sites. With you 1x scope does the front gift interfere at all? Is it in your sight plain when aiming down the scope?

Thanks man... the front sight can be clearly seen when the scope is on 1x. It doesn't interfere with shooting or anything though, any more than a front sight interferes with a co-witnessed red dot. On 4x you can still see a little bit of shadow from it in the bottom of the FOV, but it doesn't bother me.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Burris TAC30 1-4x24 on my .308 AR, and like it a lot. It has great clear optics and a nice BDC reticle, which is dead on for 147 grain ball out to 400 yards with my rifle. The true 1x is great for speed up close, like you might need if you're out stalking through the brush for hogs. It has great illumination in the reticle, too. You can get them for $270 or so on e-bay. This same scope has been on a 20" 5.56 AR as well as an M1A. It has been through several cross country run 'n gun competitions, and has been great for making shots anywhere from up close out to 400 yards. I shot the Springfield with it out to 600 yards once on the range, and the BDC was still right on. It made it pretty easy to smack that steel torso.

Here is my rifle. Hopefully I will get to do some hog hunting this year, and this is exactly what I will take.

i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_image_zps829ed5c6.jpg

Can you use the reticle without having the scope turned on or is it light a red dot and needs to be turned on?

Latest posts

Top Bottom